The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends of the people, their financial circumstances and the reasons for wanting to marry.
Both my grandmothers were married as teenagers.
Some of my friends got married as teenagers.
Yes
I would say Yes You are still young and can easily change your mind.
Also the cost is super expensive.

Worst case senario -

Spoiler

Reply 4
Too young isn't the problem, it's being able to financially support yourself and your partner. If you're still living in your parents house without a job then it's probably not a good idea.
yes. at 20 things will still be in flux unless you've both had a full time job and have been living together since you were 16, which you haven't.
If you are totally sure of where you both are in life, then no
Yes. I’m 25 (female) and don’t plan on marriage until at least 30. My reasons:

Under the age of 30 one is still figuring out what to do with his/her life. You can wake up on a Tuesday wanting to take a completely different route to what you had decided the Monday before! It’s a difficult, stressful and really soul-searching kind of period. Due to personal experiences, I believe that
a) during this time all kinds of relationships are tested to the max, you lose friends, even romantic partners because no matter how you want to phrase it, we grow apart when we’re busy with working out our own purpose in life.
b) shouldn’t cloud your judgement. When you get married, you have to take into account all of the above feelings twice, once from your side, once from your partners. And that can cause further confusion or dissatisfaction.

To cut that short, I think, in today’s world people are too immature to get married before 30.
Original post by Beirut_Ewan
Me and my girlfriend really like each together we’ve been a couple for 3 years now.

Is it too young to get married?

Can you both financially support yourselves is the main question? i.e. Rent, Utility bills & Food can be payed with your current monthly salary.
If you can't fulfil this criteria, then it's too early for you to marry.

Assuming you decide to live in your parents house (and don't pay for much) after marrying then I guess it's not too early, us Asians do the same thing then move out about 3-4 years down the line.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got engaged at 21 and that was the right time for me but it's your mindset and your relationship whether its right for you guys, have you lived together for a while and been through a few things together like holidays and bad life events?
shall i cut the bs? : Yes
do what u like as long as ur happy w it
Yes... you should wait until 50 at least. And remember... no sex before marriage!
Yes! Dont be in a hurry, marriage is not quite the heaven. Do you want responsabilities being so young? Enjoy your time NOW, at this age, which is unique!
(edited 5 years ago)
To be honest, I think yes. I know generations before would have got married earlier, but by 20 they may have been in a good job whereas most are still in education at this point these days. There's no reason you can't do things like live together, as times have changed (for the better, I think) so why not do this for a few years once you've both finished uni and see how things go? There's no rush to get married, and it will be better if you wait IMO as you are likely to get much more family support (I tell you now, if you get engaged people will think you're too young at 20) and will have more money to have the wedding you want.

I have a friend who got married at 20, and she was divorced by 22. Not that it will happen to everyone, but she fully admits she was too young, and having a relationship with someone for even 5+ years at that age isn't truly representative as we all change so much in our early 20s. If you get to your mid-late 20s and everything is still great, propose then, and live happily ever after :smile:. There's no rush!
"Really like eachother", so thats the only reason? I hope you are being vague for the sake of just answering your intial question without commenting on the other aspects of your relationship.
You can marry for any reason, this is a cute reason.... but what does marriage mean to you? Do you think this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with?

I think it is too young personally, because you haven't gone through the rough milestones people experience throughout their 20s - and when you get married and experience them together, they will either make or break your relationship :smile:.

As long as you are mature about it, both agree to it... of course you can do it.
Yes
Without contextual factors it's difficult to say. Being 20 on it's own isn't a reason not to imo, but if you're both still at uni or something you're probably gonna change quite a bit before you graduate. In that case I'd say no, or at the very least say leave it at 'engaged' until both of y'all are graduated. Calling off an engagement is a far easier process than sorting a legal divorce, if worst comes to worst.
(edited 5 years ago)
No
My partners parents got engaged after two weeks of knowing each other and were 19 and 24 respectively when they tied the knot, however they admit it would be very hard to maintain that relationship at such an age in today’s climate.
They could buy a house and support themselves financially with relative ease whilst today that is very hard to do. Both working in sectors that would now require university degrees. Also with marriage you are committing to share your life with somebody; start a family whether that just be to two of you or a child.

Personally at 20 I believe you-should be developing your core beliefs and values, gaining knowledge in different fields, experiencing different things, meeting new people who you can learn from etc and just enjoying life. Marriage comes with a lot of restrictions that aren’t necessary at such a young age. If it’s meant to be you’ll still marry at 30, why rush?

Latest

Trending

Trending