The Student Room Group

Breaking Lodger's Agreement

I've recently moved into a flat share, and am having serious doubts!

I'm not sure if I just need to get used to living with other people, or if I need to find somewhere else.

My contract says that it is for 6 months, however there is a clause which states "the lodger must give 1 months notice from payment date".

Does this sound like a break clause?

Thanks!
Original post by happy_kitkat
I've recently moved into a flat share, and am having serious doubts!

I'm not sure if I just need to get used to living with other people, or if I need to find somewhere else.

My contract says that it is for 6 months, however there is a clause which states "the lodger must give 1 months notice from payment date".

Does this sound like a break clause?

Thanks!

Hard to say without reading the document and not enough information provided. Take it to the advice centre or get a 2nd year law student to look at it or the law clinic at your uni. Someone needs to have a look at the document to gauge what it is.

Theres a reasonable chance that unusually you are allowed to give 1 months notice, but it depends on the wording, where it is in the document and the type of agreement it is.

Lodger is normally used where you are living with the LL.
Original post by 999tigger
Hard to say without reading the document and not enough information provided. Take it to the advice centre or get a 2nd year law student to look at it or the law clinic at your uni. Someone needs to have a look at the document to gauge what it is.

Theres a reasonable chance that unusually you are allowed to give 1 months notice, but it depends on the wording, where it is in the document and the type of agreement it is.

Lodger is normally used where you are living with the LL.

It's a pretty simple document - lodger's agreement. At the top it has a paragraph about the contract; it states it is for an initial 6 months, and then after that the contract will becoming a rolling one where either party can terminate with 1 months notice. There's then a list of clauses, and then the last one is "the lodger must give 1 months notice from payment date". There's nothing else after that. The ll also has their own break clause in there "the ll can terminate this contract at any point, giving 1 month's notice".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending