The Student Room Group

Why do countries seem happy with destroying the environment?

The world is being destroyed. Climate change, deforestation, pollution, and a lot more is destroying our planet. We know this, but the people with the power don't seem to care. They are ruining the futures of so many people and the brilliant wildlife.

Why don't the leaders do something?

Scroll to see replies

"aaaaaaaa do something guys aaaaa" - everyone.

Yeah, do what? And how do you know it'll actually help? That's the hard part.
Original post by blueworld2378
The world is being destroyed. Climate change, deforestation, pollution, and a lot more is destroying our planet. We know this, but the people with the power don't seem to care. They are ruining the futures of so many people and the brilliant wildlife.

...because passing climate legislation will likely hurt the ordinary voter's wallet, increase the national debt of countries and it takes more than 1 electoral cycle to see the true impact of any investment a government makes.

It won't win votes.

Short termism. Politicians just want to be there in the next election and economic prosperity is a bigger winner than environmental needs. By the time the planet changes they are likely to be dead.
Do you think they don't care? Or do you think they care significantly and are acutely aware of what they are doing but are deterred from doing anything to change themselves due to "being too small to make a difference" up to and including not having enough time in office to make a definitive change?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DarthRoar
"aaaaaaaa do something guys aaaaa" - everyone.

Yeah, do what? And how do you know it'll actually help? That's the hard part.

Actually, there have been a lot of suggestions on things that would help, but politics and the economy are apparently more important.
It sucks cos nature is my home and it's where I feel most connected to everything :frown:
Original post by Blue_Cow
...because passing climate legislation will likely hurt the ordinary voter's wallet, increase the national debt of countries and it takes more than 1 electoral cycle to see the true impact of any investment a government makes.

It won't win votes.

But why should politics be more important than our planet? If nobody does anything to save our planet there won't be any politics left.
Original post by HoldThisL
Do you think they don't care? Or do you think they care significantly and are acutely aware of what they are doing but are deterred from doing anything to change themselves due to "being too small to make a difference" up to and including not having enough time in office to make a definitive change?

Actual co-operation seems to be a solution here. Put the environment above politics for once.
Actual co-operation seems to be a solution here. Put the environment above politics for once.

Can you name anything consensual that exceeds political power? I can't and I can't think of any convincing reason why people would.
Brexit will cause massive harm to the environment in our country. the EU has produced remarkable improvements in our rivers and beaches. in a few years' time all this good work will be undone.
Original post by HoldThisL
Can you name anything consensual that exceeds political power? I can't and I can't think of any convincing reason why people would.

Politics shouldn't be the thing to get in the way of saving the planet. Without the planet there wouldn't be any politics.
I am actually shocked at the number of people here that seem to be happy to accept that politics is more important than our environment. Without the environment and our planet, politics wouldn't exist. Politics shouldn't get in the way of nature. However we all know that it does, but it doesn't mean we have to be happy with it.
But why should politics be more important than our planet? If nobody does anything to save our planet there won't be any politics left.

...because no one is going to vote to become poorer.

I am actually shocked at the number of people here that seem to be happy to accept that politics is more important than our environment. Without the environment and our planet, politics wouldn't exist. Politics shouldn't get in the way of nature. However we all know that it does, but it doesn't mean we have to be happy with it.

Dude, no one is happy with that. If the general populous isn't willing to vote for a government which will implement legislation that will cost trillions to implement then that's just the way it'll be.

It's called democracy - you can't force environmental legislation through. There is no mandate for it.
...because no one is going to vote to become poorer.

Dude, no one is happy with that. If the general populous isn't willing to vote for a government which will implement legislation that will cost trillions to implement then that's just the way it'll be.

It's called democracy - you can't force environmental legislation through. There is no mandate for it.

So are people going to vote to basically die then?
I don’t mind dying
So are people going to vote to basically die then?

Yes. If it means their takehome pay is going to be a little bit higher.

Until people actually see the country being flooded, or millions of climate refugees coming to our country, then yes, people will, as you say, vote to basically die (or vote to pass the problem onto the next generation)
Yes. If it means their takehome pay is going to be a little bit higher.

Until people actually see the country being flooded, or millions of climate refugees coming to our country, then yes, people will, as you say, vote to basically die (or vote to pass the problem onto the next generation)

So why can't some leader do something about it? They should know what will end up happening. Some ignorant people shouldn't get in the way. I don't care if it isn't democracy. It isn't fair to destroy the planet to keep democracy.
So why can't some leader do something about it? They should know what will end up happening. Some ignorant people shouldn't get in the way. I don't care if it isn't democracy. It isn't fair to destroy the planet to keep democracy.

So you'd rather the world has a single dictatorial government? How foolish.

I'd rather shuffle off this mortal coil than live in dictatorship hell.
If the companies in your country are the only ones who have to follow strict emission rules, it can destroy your economy.
So countries must cooperate to figure out laws and policies they can all follow, that will protect the environment, without hurting their economies too much.

Problem is that every country has different interests which makes it hard to make deals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending