The Student Room Group

Whys my vagina so itchy

My vagina been itchy for months, i eventually got the courage to finally see my doctor only to wait for my results to be told i was clear . So my question is why my vagina still itchy and how can i stop it. Please help ...
probably dont clean properly
You can but canesten thrush treatments over the counter at most pharmacies. Definitely try that.
Thrush?
Do you shave it? That could be a cause of itchiness if you do.
Reply 5
Original post by Elizabeth0016
My vagina been itchy for months, i eventually got the courage to finally see my doctor only to wait for my results to be told i was clear . So my question is why my vagina still itchy and how can i stop it. Please help ...

Could you be having a reaction to the soap/shower gel you use? Or the wash powder used to clean your clothes?
Do you use cotton underwear? Make sure it’s all 100% cotton. Avoid thongs for a while. Avoid washing with anything other than water. No soap or perfumed products for a while.
Have you recently started having sex or more sex than usual?
The tissue around your vagina is very sensitive and needs to be treated gently.
If all your tests are clear then it’s probably an external influence.
Try the things suggested and if it’s no better after a couple of weeks then go back to your gp
It's mainly whn you shave it gets itchy so that is probably the main reason
but make sure you clean your vagina everyday to keep it clean
even if you go in the bath or shower specifically for that reason
Iv tried that nothing helping at all, im just dry flakey and red.
Original post by barror1
You can but canesten thrush treatments over the counter at most pharmacies. Definitely try that.
Canesten won’t help if you don’t have thrush.
You could try soothing it if it feels warm with natural yoghurt kept in the fridge. Smear it on for half a hour then rinse off with cool water.
If you have privacy then cover it with a cold wet flannel. It will help break the itch scratch cycle.

if you're using soap, stop using it for a while to see if there are any changes. if its no longer itchy, It'd be because of the soap you were using.

shaving may cause it to be itchy.

or your not washing it properly. (try using just water for the time being if you were using soap before)
it might be the cotton in the underwear it sounds like an allergic reaction or a rash caused by that
Original post by Cloudiii
Do you shave it? That could be a cause of itchiness if you do.

I doubt she is shaving the inside of her vagina...

Where is the redness and flakiness - is it on the normal skin of your genitals or is it inside the vagina? What are you using to wash with down there with at the moment and how often are you washing?
If sounds like it might be dermatitis if it is red and flaky... Have you tried washing with things like dermol wash (it's used as a wash for people with eczema). It would definitely be worth going back to see you doctor about this though if it has been going on for so long.

What kind of tests you had? It took over a year for the doctors to figure out that I have hypothyroidism, it started with an itchy vagina due to dry skin.
And even if the doctors can't find the cause they should still prescribe/recommend something for the symptoms eg steroid cream.
(edited 5 years ago)

How old are you?
At child bearing ages , from around 15 I'd say, hormonal changes can cause your vagina to act up. If the doctors made it clear that you have no fungal ailments or STI's then it's probably the hormones in which case if the symptoms are problematic your doctor may prescribe you birth pills or something to regulate your hormone activity.

I'm guessing it's not the actual vagina which is inside you, but the area around it? If so, vaginal creams could be useful. Also, in no way am I trying to be rude, but maybe check ur hygiene? Washing down there regularly is important to keep germs at bay. The skin there could be dry too, so if you are removing hair from down there in whatever way, maybe moisturising afterwards, or something could help.
I once had the same problem. my nan once told me that if your vagina itches it means your celebrity crush is masturbating. turns out I had a yeast infection. a yeast infection isn't that bad, so I prefer to call it a yeet infection.

Quick Reply

Latest