The Student Room Group

How to gain weight?

I'm trying to put on some weight and I realize you have to be in a caloric surplus.
But do you have to be in a huge surplus every day?

As I go to the gym 2 times a week (both consists of full body compound exercises, the first day is heavy and second day is lighter but I ultimately try to go in a progressive overload.) I try to hit 3000+ calories on the days I go to the gym, but do I also have to have 3000 or more on rest days? As I basically jut sit in class or the study room so I don't lose many calories. Would it be sufficient enough to have 2400ish calories or a little more because I don't have a big appetite at all?

Also, I am planning to go more often and find a new plan, it's just that my dad says I have to concentrate on A levels more until exams in June.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Ice cream? Donuts?
I'd focus on your A-levels for the moment.
Original post by 202020192018
Ice cream? Donuts?

I'd focus on your A-levels for the moment.

You didn't really answer the question there, mate.
Eat meat. I stopped eating meat and incidentally lost so much weight...
See my latest thread.
Original post by Anonymous
Eat meat. I stopped eating meat and incidentally lost so much weight...

I still maintain my protein intake every day.
I was wondering if you should go on a surplus on days you go to the gym, but just a little above caloric maintenance on rest days?
Original post by Mohamed SaIah
See my latest thread.

Cheesecake?
Original post by kurro
You didn't really answer the question there, mate.

Not the brightest question really. How do you think people lose weight? By limiting calories or exercising more. By simple deduction how do you think people put on weight? Eat more, exercise less or gain muscle.
Listen stop being too conscious about your weight....every body is not perfect i understand maybe you doing this for health and beauty reason but think it thoroughly.
Stop obsessing over "number of calories". It varies from person to person. If you expend less than you eat you will gain weight. Simple.
Original post by kurro
I still maintain my protein intake every day.
I was wondering if you should go on a surplus on days you go to the gym, but just a little above caloric maintenance on rest days?

Oh sorry, I'll admit I didn't actually read your main post...

Sorry, I have no idea about any of that...
Oh sorry, I'll admit I didn't actually read your main post...

Sorry, I have no idea about any of that...

dw thanks tho :biggrin:
Original post by kurro
dw thanks tho :biggrin:

Np, good luck! But also I think the other person said a good point about not worrying about weight too much if it's a beauty consideration.
Np, good luck! But also I think the other person said a good point about not worrying about weight too much if it's a beauty consideration.

Well, I just want to get more muscular, anything wrong with that tho? haha
I'm not concerned about my body or anything
Bro I recommend don't count just eat until you feel full for every meal but don't make it too deep because your metabolism slows as you age so you'll eventually put on weight
Not the brightest question really. How do you think people lose weight? By limiting calories or exercising more. By simple deduction how do you think people put on weight? Eat more, exercise less or gain muscle.

Stop obsessing over "number of calories". It varies from person to person. If you expend less than you eat you will gain weight. Simple.

Okay, so if I want to gain weight (muscle) I need to consume 3000 calories (i did some online calculator, maybe you can't trust it but imma still try)
But do I also eat 3000 on rest days? As I won't lose as many calories as I just sit down doing nothing. So I just want to know if it's okay having 2200 or less to still gain weight consistently. As that is my maintenance caloric need.
You not really answering the question :confused:
Original post by kurro
Well, I just want to get more muscular, anything wrong with that tho? haha
I'm not concerned about my body or anything

Ohh I see. I think you should try to understand why you want to be more muscular.

If it's because of pressure as a man, maybe you should reconsider?
Original post by TheYearNiner
Bro I recommend don't count just eat until you feel full for every meal but don't make it too deep because your metabolism slows as you age so you'll eventually put on weight

I do that every meal lol
I have been doing this for a year but it's hard for me to put on weight
I have only gained 15kg in a year :frown: im72kg right now and i wanna get to 80kg hahaha
That's why i wanna try counting calories
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest