The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Loan/Finance Query

Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some clear guidance, as i keep finding contradicting information everywhere i look. I am hoping to go back to study for a career in IT and have been given an unconditional offer for a Bsc Computer Science with Foundation year, defer start date Sept 2020, as such i plan to leave my current job full time to take up study next year.

I originally started a HND Course back in 2008 but dropped out in the first semester, just before Christmas due to my partner getting pregnant, we needed a steady income so i gave up education and have climbed the career ladder since. I have deffer-ed until Sept 2020 to put some money behind me and i will likely have a decent amount saved as back up for while i am studying (my wife will work some hours also). I am really excited to get back to chasing my original dream but want to be totally sure i can do this financially.

Questions are as follows;
1. Will i be entitled to funding (Course Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan) for the full 4 years? I left in 2008 only having to pay back the Maintenance Part of the loan as i left within time frame for course fees payment. Or will this mean the first year i get nothing and have to support myself.
2. Will having savings effect my chances of getting a Maintenance Loan?
3. I will be living at home in our mortgaged property, with wife and daughter, should there be any other support i should be looking for?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.
(edited 5 years ago)
1. Yes you’ll be fine. Your previous study has used your “gift” year though so if you need to restart, transfer after the foundation to a new university or repeat a year then the additional year would not be eligible for a tuition fee loan.
2. Savings aren’t assessed as household income. You only have to declare the income from interest on savings.
3. You might be eligible for a childcare grant and other similar support too. When you apply it will take you through this. If you want a firmer idea then you can always apply for finance for 2019 start and see what you’re entitled to and then cancel the application and reapply for 2020 next spring. The only difference will be the tax year they ask for your spouses income (17/18 for 2019 start, 18/19 for 2020 start - you don’t have to declare if your spouses income has increased since that year).
Reply 2
Hey PQ,

Thank you very much for this information, definitely put my mind at rest :smile:

All the best,

M
Original post by PQ
1. Yes you’ll be fine. Your previous study has used your “gift” year though so if you need to restart, transfer after the foundation to a new university or repeat a year then the additional year would not be eligible for a tuition fee loan.
2. Savings aren’t assessed as household income. You only have to declare the income from interest on savings.
3. You might be eligible for a childcare grant and other similar support too. When you apply it will take you through this. If you want a firmer idea then you can always apply for finance for 2019 start and see what you’re entitled to and then cancel the application and reapply for 2020 next spring. The only difference will be the tax year they ask for your spouses income (17/18 for 2019 start, 18/19 for 2020 start - you don’t have to declare if your spouses income has increased since that year).
Hi there,

So we can confirm your entitlement to funding, can you confirm that you hold only the 1 year of previous study as mentioned above please? As PQ has stated, we will not take into account any earned income from yourself when assessing your finance. Should you wish to apply for the income assessed Maintenance Loan, we will require your wife to submit her income details to us. Dependent on the household income declared to us, you may be eligible for the Childcare Grant if your daughter attends a registered Childcare Provider. You may also be eligible for the Parents Learning Allowance.

You will be required provide original ID evidence as you will be applying as a new student. Should you wish to apply for the Grants For Dependents mentioned above, you will be required to provide the following evidence;

Copy of Child Dependents Birth Certificate

and one of either;

Most Recent Tax Credit Award Notice
Most Recent Child Benefit Letter
Most Recent Universal Credit Letter

Please note that should you apply for the incorrect academic year and then cancel you application, you will be required to re-send all of the aforementioned evidence to us for the correct academic year. This includes your wife's income information as the evidence requirements will change each academic year.

Thanks,
Erin K
Original post by mjb88
Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some clear guidance, as i keep finding contradicting information everywhere i look. I am hoping to go back to study for a career in IT and have been given an unconditional offer for a Bsc Computer Science with Foundation year, defer start date Sept 2020, as such i plan to leave my current job full time to take up study next year.

I originally started a HND Course back in 2008 but dropped out in the first semester, just before Christmas due to my partner getting pregnant, we needed a steady income so i gave up education and have climbed the career ladder since. I have deffer-ed until Sept 2020 to put some money behind me and i will likely have a decent amount saved as back up for while i am studying (my wife will work some hours also). I am really excited to get back to chasing my original dream but want to be totally sure i can do this financially.

Questions are as follows;
1. Will i be entitled to funding (Course Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan) for the full 4 years? I left in 2008 only having to pay back the Maintenance Part of the loan as i left within time frame for course fees payment. Or will this mean the first year i get nothing and have to support myself.
2. Will having savings effect my chances of getting a Maintenance Loan?
3. I will be living at home in our mortgaged property, with wife and daughter, should there be any other support i should be looking for?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending