The Student Room Group

Finshing first year with no friends?

Hi guys,
I'm about to go back to uni for exams soon but I feel down. It's coming to the end of first year, and I feel like I haven't made a single friend. The first semester was alright, I was really social and made so many 'friends', but over time these people just ditched me and didn't even invite me out. I would message them too, but they'd just come up with some lame excuse even if later that night I'd see them going out on snapchat.
I was going to join societies, but it's too late now of course. I think I will join some next year but, is it weird to go to the first one alone? I don't want second year to be as bad, how do i go about making new friends next year?

Also - after my exams, I'll be so bored alone. I might stay at uni for like a week or so before going home for the summer. I could ask the people I used to talk to in freshers if they're free but I'm so nervous and I just know they will say no, or come up with some petty excuse again. Idk. How do i go about it, they're all established in their friendship groups and I'll just be an outsider at this point? How am I supposed to even ask? Everyone around me has a group now, and I don't even have a single friend. I just feel like what is the point of being at uni if I'm lonely? I hate it.

I've just been so alone and uni has not met my expectations at all and i don't know what to do. I have anxiety and this whole experience has just made it worse.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by bioenthusiast
Hi guys,
I'm about to go back to uni for exams soon but I feel down. It's coming to the end of first year, and I feel like I haven't made a single friend. The first semester was alright, I was really social and made so many 'friends', but over time these people just ditched me and didn't even invite me out. I would message them too, but they'd just come up with some lame excuse even if later that night I'd see them going out on snapchat.
I was going to join societies, but it's too late now of course. I think I will join some next year but, is it weird to go to the first one alone? I don't want second year to be as bad, how do i go about making new friends next year?

Also - after my exams, I'll be so bored alone. I might stay at uni for like a week or so before going home for the summer. I could ask the people I used to talk to in freshers if they're free but I'm so nervous and I just know they will say no, or come up with some petty excuse again. Idk. How do i go about it, they're all established in their friendship groups and I'll just be an outsider at this point? How am I supposed to even ask? Everyone around me has a group now, and I don't even have a single friend. I just feel like what is the point of being at uni if I'm lonely? I hate it.

I've just been so alone and uni has not met my expectations at all and i don't know what to do. I have anxiety and this whole experience has just made it worse.

Any advice?

I can really relate to your situation :frown: I also made some friends in first term but they all seem to have gone off as found they're own groups so whenever I ask them to meet up they're always busy. I think joining a society or two next year will help and it's perfectly fine to go on your own as there will be lots of fresher's on their own anyway!

Feeling lonely is really exhausting and I'm also struggling to the see point of staying. Motivating myself to revise for exams is so hard.

Although your going through a tough time at the moment, you should be proud of yourself for going to uni as it is really daunting to go into an environment where you know no one! I think maybe try to contact the people who you used to hang out with after exams and ask if they want to catch up, if they say no then it's their loss and at least you know where you stand so you can use your energy elsewhere.

What uni do you go to by the way? I really hope things improve for you! :smile:
Original post by em263626
I can really relate to your situation :frown: I also made some friends in first term but they all seem to have gone off as found they're own groups so whenever I ask them to meet up they're always busy. I think joining a society or two next year will help and it's perfectly fine to go on your own as there will be lots of fresher's on their own anyway!

Feeling lonely is really exhausting and I'm also struggling to the see point of staying. Motivating myself to revise for exams is so hard.

Although your going through a tough time at the moment, you should be proud of yourself for going to uni as it is really daunting to go into an environment where you know no one! I think maybe try to contact the people who you used to hang out with after exams and ask if they want to catch up, if they say no then it's their loss and at least you know where you stand so you can use your energy elsewhere.

What uni do you go to by the way? I really hope things improve for you! :smile:

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

It’s nice to know someone else’s is in the same position. I think i am gonna try with societies next year, for sure. I would contact them but, I just feel like they’ll probably say no. They literally ignored me as I walked past them the other day, so surely that just proves there’s no point?

I go to Uni of Leicester :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending