The Student Room Group

Nervous about private accommodation

The only option I have for uni is private accommodation. I am super nervous because i'm not even sure if I will be staying with other first years. Are your closest friends usually the people in your flat? I know that usually the first introduction are people in your flat and then you usually go out and meet other people at parties. I keep seeing people having fun at uni and im worried I will make no friends :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
The only option I have for uni is private accommodation. I am super nervous because i'm not even sure if I will be staying with other first years. Are your closest friends usually the people in your flat? I know that usually the first introduction are people in your flat and then you usually go out and meet other people at parties. I keep seeing people having fun at uni and im worried I will make no friends :frown:

Hi!
I stayed in private accommodation in my first year and was in a flat where we were all first year students. Obviously I can only speak from my experience but I believe accommodations will try to allocate first years to the same flat. However, I met some of my best friends on my course or through societies so there are definitely more places to make friends than just flatmates. Additionally, just because they are not first years doesn't mean you won't get along so try to keep an open mind.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there , everyone's experience is unique but the one thing that is common for most first years is that there are many opportunities for you to make friends. Don't worry too much about the opportunity to meet people , just stay open minded and try a lot of different social activities offered by your accommodation and your student union. I have lived in student accommodation and met some really good friends at events in our building and also surprisingly in the elevator.
You will also meet people in your course and and in societies , I would advise you to try join a society or try out some societies during or after freshers week. There will be plenty of opportunities to make friends whether or not your flatmates end up being your friends. I hope this alleviates some of your concerns .

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending