The Student Room Group

Finding my people in uni

Hi,
For context, I am a 2nd year student who did a foundation year (so I have been at uni for 2 years already). I have found that first year is the year that most people end up 'finding their people' - the people they want to live with and hang out with outside of lectures etc. I have a best friend who I made in first year (foundation year) and some other friends too but most of them either did not make it past the foundation year (didn't do well in the exams to get into their course) or are commuters so I don't really get to see them. In my first year of my actual degree, I made quite a few friends in my course but I desperately want best friends who are nothing to do with my work who I can spend time with on the weekends and on evenings etc.

My current course is quite strenuous (multiple courseworks and 20+ lectures/contact hours per week) and so I really don't want to have all my time swallowed up with the course friends I have because I kind of associate them with work because that is all we do together :biggrin:

Does anyone have any advice on how to find your people even though you aren't in first year anymore? I am in multiple societies and have met people through them but I want to form strong friendships and perhaps live with these people in one of my future years at uni (atm am living with one of my friends from foundation year but am hoping for a new housemate in the future).
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
For context, I am a 2nd year student who did a foundation year (so I have been at uni for 2 years already). I have found that first year is the year that most people end up 'finding their people' - the people they want to live with and hang out with outside of lectures etc. I have a best friend who I made in first year (foundation year) and some other friends too but most of them either did not make it past the foundation year (didn't do well in the exams to get into their course) or are commuters so I don't really get to see them. In my first year of my actual degree, I made quite a few friends in my course but I desperately want best friends who are nothing to do with my work who I can spend time with on the weekends and on evenings etc.

My current course is quite strenuous (multiple courseworks and 20+ lectures/contact hours per week) and so I really don't want to have all my time swallowed up with the course friends I have because I kind of associate them with work because that is all we do together :biggrin:

Does anyone have any advice on how to find your people even though you aren't in first year anymore? I am in multiple societies and have met people through them but I want to form strong friendships and perhaps live with these people in one of my future years at uni (atm am living with one of my friends from foundation year but am hoping for a new housemate in the future).

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this but I honestly think that this is the ultimate challenge of uni outside of academia. Making friends can be a huge challenge but I've recently found that trying to arrange things such as meeting people for coffee or for a walk and being honest about what friends you're looking for and getting to know someone is a really great step.

I hope that this helps a little!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Hi,

Hey!

I know people who made their friends for life in their last years at uni, so it really is different for everyone. I'm sure you're going to make some really strong connections soon, it's great that you're taking the initiative and are involved in societies as that's one of the best ways to meet new people. You could also look into volunteering opportunities with your university or become a student ambassador as new ways of meeting people. :smile:

I know you said you associate course friends with work, but could you try get past seeing them in this way by arranging some activities for you all to do instead of just working? It could be going for a coffee after studying for a well deserved break and treat, or arrange it on a day when you haven't all been working together so it stops that association and go for a walk, go to the cinemas, a meal, or do a fun activity in town etc. For the friends who commute who you don't see as much, can you arrange weekend plans with them and meet in the middle between you both?

I think that would be my advice, to try turn those 'work friends' into closer friends who you see outside of studying and can spend evenings and weekends together. Do you all have a group chat? You should suggest you all plan something fun to take a break from your studies and see each other outside of your studies, it's all about that work life balance.

Good luck with your university journey! :smile:

Becky
Hi,

Hi,

It is great to hear that you have already made friends at University. In terms of meeting people outside of your course, I think you are on the right lines- meeting people in societies is a really good idea. I would suggest attending society events frequently, so you can meet the same people throughout the year- hopefully build some new friendships too. :biggrin:

For myself, I actually made most of my friends in second year of university, so take your time, you will be meeting people throughout your time at University.

All the best
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending