The Student Room Group

Good A levep combination??

I want to do A levels in English literature, English language and History.
And I want to go onto Law or journalism as a degree.
Stay away from English language swap it to another humanities or essay subject like philosophy
Reply 2
Why stay away from english language? I was considering to pick it but I'm still unsure.
Original post by apspirei
Stay away from English language swap it to another humanities or essay subject like philosophy
Reply 3
English Language is not considered a facilitating subject. It isn't seen as academically challenging enough, especially if you want to study a competitive course like Law or Journalism. I would recommend another humanity or a science as this would look better. I currently study English Literature, History and Biology at A-Level, so feel free to message me if you have any questions!
There are plenty of misconceptions about "facilitating subjects" to such a point that the idea of them has been done away with altogether. As you already have degrees in mind, you can just look at the A-levels required and recommended for those, though do allow yourself some room to change your mind.

That said, I'm not sure what universities think of taking both english language and literature. You may be better off taking combined literature/language, probably something to look into.
Reply 5
Ty for the reply, why do you say stay away from English language? I would of thought English language would help with journalism. But yeah ironically enough I was thinking of doing Philosophy anyway. Can you elaborate x
English language can be useful for journalism but if you’re looking at universities, your application would be stronger with a different subject as english language isn’t very facilitating and you already do english literature.
Original post by Manip01
Ty for the reply, why do you say stay away from English language? I would of thought English language would help with journalism. But yeah ironically enough I was thinking of doing Philosophy anyway. Can you elaborate x
Reply 7
Okay, I'm keeping this all in my mind and I going to do Philosophy, History and English literature.
Original post by hrusse2
English Language is not considered a facilitating subject. It isn't seen as academically challenging enough, especially if you want to study a competitive course like Law or Journalism. I would recommend another humanity or a science as this would look better. I currently study English Literature, History and Biology at A-Level, so feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Original post by Manip01
Okay, I'm keeping this all in my mind and I going to do Philosophy, History and English literature.

Don't listen to the terrible advice that English Language isn't facilitating or that universities don't see it as competitive enough.

Universities literally don't care about your subject combinations as long as 1) you have excellent grades 2) you have the required subject that the degree asks for (assuming there is one).

Please don't take advice from misinformed people. If you want to do English Lit, English Language and History - go for it. Either Cambridge or Oxford would accept you for Law with those A levels assuming you have the grades.
English language can be useful for journalism but if you’re looking at universities, your application would be stronger with a different subject as english language isn’t very facilitating and you already do english literature.

Original post by hrusse2

Please don't spread misinformation.

You're both current A level students giving other high school students advice on what's facilitating and what's not. Admission teams from multiple universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, have confirmed time and time again that there are no facilitating or more respected subjects (apart from General Studies), especially concerning a subject like English Language. It's a myth spread by misinformed teens and their teachers.

Unless you both have some special insight into the admission's process of universities, I would strongly encourage you to refrain from spreading false facts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
AHAH, okay thank you for the guidance and support. Would you suggest me to take English language, English lit and History then?
Original post by Quick-use
Please don't spread misinformation.

You're both current A level students giving other high school students advice on what's facilitating and what's not. Admission teams from multiple universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, have confirmed time and time again that there are no facilitating or more respected subjects (apart from General Studies), especially concerning a subject like English Language. It's a myth spread by misinformed teens and their teachers.

Unless you both have some special insight into the admission's process of universities, I would strongly encourage you to refrain from spreading false facts.
Reply 11
Okay thank you so much for the advice! I just do what you said, English lit, language, and History as I still get into Oxbridge right??
Don't listen to the terrible advice that English Language isn't facilitating or that universities don't see it as competitive enough.

Universities literally don't care about your subject combinations as long as 1) you have excellent grades 2) you have the required subject that the degree asks for (assuming there is one).

Please don't take advice from misinformed people. If you want to do English Lit, English Language and History - go for it. Either Cambridge or Oxford would accept you for Law with those A levels assuming you have the grades.
Original post by Manip01

Those subjects are fine, stick with them if you know you'll enjoy them, don't overcomplicate things, if you like the subjects and are good at them, stick with them.
Reply 13
Okay, thanks a lot hahaha!

Original post by Manip01
Okay thank you so much for the advice! I just do what you said, English lit, language, and History as I still get into Oxbridge right??

If those are the 3 subjects that you want to do the most, then go for it. If you're really worried, you can email Oxford and/or Cambridge and ask. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Manip01

Business studies and economics are a good combination , i took both and eventhough the anakysis if essay question needs different strategies and approaches, the material is somewhat similar and there are some understanding to both m you need to memorize quickly but if you want a literary stream you may want to take these

Quick Reply

Latest