The Student Room Group

Changing course from IC Aeronautical Engineering to Cambridge Philosophy

I've just finished my second year of aeronautical engineering at Imperial College. Owing to some motivation and enjoyment issues however, I'm thinking of withdrawing to apply for philosophy in 2020-2021. I've discovered after spending two years on the Imperial Horizons moral philosophy modules that this is something I would much prefer to study at a degree level. Basically it's something I'm driven to learn more about all the time, while engineering isn't.

What I would like to know is how important a reference from Imperial will be if I choose to apply to Cambridge? I will likely have committed to leaving my course by the time I submit my UCAS application. I'm concerned that as Imperial is not exactly a humanities university, and we have barely any contact with tutors (I've seen mine twice this whole year), I may not be able to get a reference, or it may not be very relevant. If for example Imperial (my tutor, department, etc.) were not interested/unable to provide me with a reference, would this severely hinder my application? Would Cambridge accept a reference from a philosophy teacher from my former-school, or just another teacher who knew me better than the tutors at Imperial do?

Thanks in advance for the help.

(Apologies for double-posting this in two forums.)
i would strongly recommend for the most accurate advice talking to an admissions tutor at any of the cambridge colleges (particularly the college you'd be applying to) asking what reference they'd want to see for you - the email addresses of the admissions tutors can be found on the college websites
Original post by eu-u6

Yes, the reference will be important, but it's something university lecturers/tutors do all the time, even when they have a class of 300. It will basically depend on the grades you are getting at Imperial. If you aren't getting 2.1s then I think your chances are slim.

Do you have the entry requirements for Cam philosophy?

Have you got enough SFE years left, or the savings for an additional year?
Reply 3
Original post by aesthete1
i would strongly recommend for the most accurate advice talking to an admissions tutor at any of the cambridge colleges (particularly the college you'd be applying to) asking what reference they'd want to see for you - the email addresses of the admissions tutors can be found on the college websites

Thanks. I'm still thinking about which colleges I'm interested in, but I'll definitely give contacting a few different ones a go to see what they're after.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, the reference will be important, but it's something university lecturers/tutors do all the time, even when they have a class of 300. It will basically depend on the grades you are getting at Imperial. If you aren't getting 2.1s then I think your chances are slim.

Do you have the entry requirements for Cam philosophy?

Have you got enough SFE years left, or the savings for an additional year?

Okay, thanks. I'll discuss with my tutor to see what's possible.

I've got the general school-level requirements from what I can see on the University and College websites, so I don't think that will be a problem.

I should be able to work something out for SFE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending