The Student Room Group

how aggressively do companies pursue payment in lieu of notice?

Say you resign effective immediately. You need to pay your company right?

but my friends told me even tho thats the law but most companies dont pursue those in court and there is nothing they can do if the employee dont pay up. But that is just his experience.

I just want to know how aggressively would companies pursue payment in lieu of notice in general?
Original post by HucktheForde

but my friends told me even tho thats the law but most companies dont pursue those in court and there is nothing they can do if the employee dont pay up. But that is just his experience.

I just want to know how aggressively would companies pursue payment in lieu of notice in general?

Unlikely but it depends on the circumstances and how any individual employer wants to treat it. They can reflect it in any reference they gave you. You havent provided any details so am not going to spend time guess.

What would they be pursuing for?
If you cost them money, they’d just take it from your remaining pay Check?

If you breach the contract and walk out, you're probably not doing yourself any favours - you might for example be owed back pay, or at least the pay up to the notice date, and you probably wouldn't get that. You may also have accrued things like pension rights and payment for any holiday days still owing. Generally you would also consider things like references for future jobs, it's surprising how often these are needed.

Of course, a lot depends on the type of job and how often you are paid. There's a big difference between abruptly leaving a zero hours contract job with no notice period from a salaried career post on monthly pay.
Original post by brimstone131
What would they be pursuing for?
If you cost them money, they’d just take it from your remaining pay Check?

smart folks hand in the letter right after they get their paycheck / bonus
Unless you're in a dangerous work environment or have a health/personal emergency then work your notice period. You never know when you'll need a reference from them and it's just poor form to leave immediately.
Why would you need to pay the company?
Reply 7
Original post by bones-mccoy
Why would you need to pay the company?

Reimbursing any training costs?
Reply 8
In my job if I could be taken to small claims for the cost of getting a locum in to cover at such short notice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending