The Student Room Group

Should I move to New Zealand? University help!

I need some advice.

I have the possibility to do PhD at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. It is 3-4 years long and a massive commitment.
I am currently a masters student in the UK and I have studied abroad to the US for 6 months. Visiting New Zealand has always been a dream of mine, so the chance to live there is unbelievable.

I have tried to weigh the pros and cons of this move. I think it will be very beneficial to do this move, especially at my age (22) as having experience at four universities, living in 3 continents by 22 would surely look good for me. The experience for my personal development would be amazing, along with academic achievements. But moving to the other side of the world for 3-4 years is such a huge decision. It's not just studying abroad... I'm worried about going there and being alone in Christchurch, struggling to make friends. Especially since it is a PhD, so research intensive. The timezone is crazy. It would be incredibly difficult to have communication with family and friends (on the phone). I am such an adventurer. LOVE hiking and exploring. This is a dream move... but I do not want to be alone in this place...

Anyone have advice of what to do? It's not like doing a PhD in Europe, it's the other side of the world! I can't just go home for the weekend.
I’ve just come back from travelling in NZ (completely different).

It’s easier to contact people than you think as first and last thing are swapped and the time people are usually available. The country is amazing so I wouldn’t worry about that.

I think it’s a choice you have to make as it’s a commitment and people cannot be too much help in regards to that.
Reply 2
Original post by SteveyStack
I’ve just come back from travelling in NZ (completely different).

It’s easier to contact people than you think as first and last thing are swapped and the time people are usually available. The country is amazing so I wouldn’t worry about that.

I think it’s a choice you have to make as it’s a commitment and people cannot be too much help in regards to that.

How did you like New Zealand? Does it live up to its reputation? My PhD would be in Christchuch...

but thanks for clarifying some things.
Original post by Velocity_
How did you like New Zealand? Does it live up to its reputation? My PhD would be in Christchuch...

but thanks for clarifying some things.

Yes it’s as beautiful as it’s reputation suggests. The people are nice, the food is so similar to British that you don’t have to worry about it. The only thing I would say is food costs a tad more than in this country but if you are going to work on top the money per hour is usually much greater.
Reply 4
I have just received an offer. I am now in the process of deciding. Can anyone help me decide? I'm definitely swaying more towards the PhD atm. Just need some clarification. Also, careers after a PhD (rather than just academia).
If you can afford it, go for it. I have relatives there, probably should go there one day.
Reply 6
I am going to accept it. It is funded, so I am going to try and save up for a car as I have the possibility the live in a dream setting for my 2nd year. Pending a car. And the project is fantastic.

Does anyone have advice about living in New Zealand? Or Christchurch in general?
Hey, so Im currently in last year of high school in nz and going to canterbury next year for undergraduate engineering. New Zealand is a real nice country and people are typically nice :smile: . Im sure you wont have any trouble making friends, plus there are many international students who go to UC, from my knowledge. Lmk if you have any specific questions, im more than happy to help
I am going to accept it. It is funded, so I am going to try and save up for a car as I have the possibility the live in a dream setting for my 2nd year. Pending a car. And the project is fantastic.

Does anyone have advice about living in New Zealand? Or Christchurch in general?

Isn't the funding quite meagre?

I was randomly looking at it last night and even the NZD 27k ones were about GBP 1.2k pm.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Notoriety
Isn't the funding quite meagre?

I was randomly looking at it last night and even the NZD 27k ones were about GBP 1.2k pm.

Unfortunately PhD funding is the greatest anywhere in the world. But it is tax free. I would manage to receive ~NZ $25K. But accommodation is quite cheap in Christchurch, so it should work out. Plus if I save up, I plan to buy a car and then I'd be able to live in a dream house (which is also affordable!) in flat sharing. Most UK CDT (PhD programs) fund ~£15k/yr.
Reply 10
Original post by Storm_Fafnir
Hey, so Im currently in last year of high school in nz and going to canterbury next year for undergraduate engineering. New Zealand is a real nice country and people are typically nice :smile: . Im sure you wont have any trouble making friends, plus there are many international students who go to UC, from my knowledge. Lmk if you have any specific questions, im more than happy to help

I didn't know people from other countries used this website! New Zealand is known to be a dream place to live... One of the many factors which swayed my decision. What I really want to do is explore and adventure, aside from the PhD. And I really hope there will be many like minded people to do this with.
Unfortunately PhD funding is the greatest anywhere in the world. But it is tax free. I would manage to receive ~NZ $25K. But accommodation is quite cheap in Christchurch, so it should work out. Plus if I save up, I plan to buy a car and then I'd be able to live in a dream house (which is also affordable!) in flat sharing. Most UK CDT (PhD programs) fund ~£15k/yr.

Yeah, fair enough. If the cost of living is cheaper, it is doable.
Yeah I ended up on here due to deciding to apply for Cambridge uni next year, which requires me to do the entrance exam and STEP - as an international student the support and advice from local students on here is immensely helpful. And NZ is a really beautiful country, irrespective of what you are studying it is a nice place to live - however its geography and biology are especially fascinating. There are a variety of people, and definitely many are into outdoor stuff/adventure with the likes of NZs great tracks, I for one used to do a decent amount of mountain biking due to some really cool tracks in NZ. I'm certain that there will be like minded people everywhere, since quite a lot of people are into adventure/exploring nature things :smile:)

It should be pretty easy getting a cheap car on Facebook or Trademe (NZ equivalent of Craigslist). However most students tend to live close to campus and use busses to get around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending