The Student Room Group

I don’t know how to use public transport at 18, can I still work?

Title.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also not allowed to go anywhere unaccompanied or at least with public transport
Does this whole not being allowed to go anywhere by yourself some sort of religious thing, or are your parents just overprotective?
Reply 3
Original post by randomsheep11
Does this whole not being allowed to go anywhere by yourself some sort of religious thing, or are your parents just overprotective?

Overprotective because I was sick all my life.
Original post by Anonymous
Overprotective because I was sick all my life.

Well, unless your parents (or whoever accompanies you) is happy to take you to and collect you from work, and you won't go by yourself, then I'm not sure how you can work realistically. Have your health problems resolved?

The best way to learn how to do something is to practise, whether that's alone or with someone else.
Don’t know how to use public transport? 😂 You pay for a ticket and get on the bus or train, not exactly rocket science. Oh and don’t forget to take a seat.

If it’s really that much of an issue why not just get a job at your local pub or shops?
What was the illness?
Reply 7
Don’t know how to use public transport? 😂 You pay for a ticket and get on the bus or train, not exactly rocket science. Oh and don’t forget to take a seat.

If it’s really that much of an issue why not just get a job at your local pub or shops?

Changing lines (eg from DLR to central line) is very hard for me and I always get lost.
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
What was the illness?

That’s irrelevant
Reply 9
Changing lines. Also my parents won’t let me use public transport on my own due to my height (4 ft 7, don’t ask why I am a midget I have something that causes primordial dwarfism).
If I choose a job within walking distance from my home I will most likely end up with a dead end job and not a decent job or a good job, and it doesn’t help with the fact that I have the bare minimum qualifications (GCSEs and an AS level) and had to end my education at 17 due to health issues.
If I choose a job within walking distance from my home I will most likely end up with a dead end job and not a decent job or a good job, and it doesn’t help with the fact that I have the bare minimum qualifications (GCSEs and an AS level) and had to end my education at 17 due to health issues.

Using the bus seems like the best option for you. You'll have to learn how buses work, how to get on the right ones, how to pay, etc. that's something unavoidable. It can most certainly be done, unless you happen to have some sort of learning disability.
Yeah I do get confused with maps.
Original post by liam.ro
Using the bus seems like the best option for you. You'll have to learn how buses work, how to get on the right ones, how to pay, etc. that's something unavoidable. It can most certainly be done, unless you happen to have some sort of learning disability.

I don’t have a learning disability I don’t think, I do very well academically and did very well at school, but when it comes to the outside world like using transport and rent and stuff I don’t know anything.
You are not alone mate. I'm 18 and physically able. But still i don't know how to use underground properly. Maybe because i hardly use underground due to my free bus transport.
I don’t have a learning disability I don’t think, I do very well academically and did very well at school, but when it comes to the outside world like using transport and rent and stuff I don’t know anything.

If that's the case, then it should definitely be possible for you to use public transport, although you'd need to put in a fair amount of effort.

It's common for people with overprotective parents to have a poor understanding of the outside world, so there's no need to be particularly concerned. Start from researching how buses work, how to pay for a ride, how to signal that you'd like to get off, and similar basics. Once you understand the essential information needed to use a bus, get yourself accompanied outside in order to watch people interact with buses at bus stops and consolidate your knowledge.

The next step will be thinking about how to make the process of using a bus easier for you. For example, in order to minimise complications, it may be easier to buy an Oyster card instead of paying each time. It'll allow you to tap onto buses without the fuss of figuring out the money needed, as long as you have topped it up with enough money. Once this is done, you can finally research the specific buses you need in order to get where you need to be. Using some sort of acronym, or drawing a representative illustration that you understand can help you to remember the route you must take.

I know similar people who've managed to figure it out, so there's no need to be disheartened as it's definitely doable.
Reply 16
Changing lines (eg from DLR to central line) is very hard for me and I always get lost.

Follow the signs. They're made to be understrood by tourists who don't speak a word of English. The more you take the tube the more familiar you'll be.
I suggest using public transport a little more, maybe you should talk to your parents about this and they can go on public transport with you, eventually you'll feel more confident using it by yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending