The Student Room Group

How do i know whether I'm an International student of a home/UK applicant?

So I'm currently studying my A levels in the UK. I've been here since 2008 (I studied at primary school since year 1 until year 4), however i left the UK for a period of 2 years (2012-2014). After i came back at 2014, i started at year 7 and did my GCSEs here, I'm currently doing my A-levels and i've been here for a total of 9 years (5 years from 2014). With that being said, I do not have a British Passport even though i have lived here most of my life.

When applying through UCAS, do i have to state I'm an international student, or will i be considered a home/UK applicant? (I'm applying for a very competitive course, and so being an international student will decrease my chances by A LOT)
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm currently studying my A levels in the UK. I've been here since 2008 (I studied at primary school since year 1 until year 4), however i left the UK for a period of 2 years (2012-2014). After i came back at 2014, i started at year 7 and did my GCSEs here, I'm currently doing my A-levels and i've been here for a total of 9 years (5 years from 2014). With that being said, I do not have a British Passport even though i have lived here most of my life.

When applying through UCAS, do i have to state I'm an international student, or will i be considered a home/UK applicant? (I'm applying for a very competitive course, and so being an international student will decrease my chances by A LOT)

It is complicated.
Talk to UKCISA or the University. They will send you a fee status form anyway as the Uni gets to decide.
Are you entitled to a UK passport? If you have a passport, then what nationality are you?

The rule is below, but I see several reasons where it may not apply including not resident for long enough, especially the 2 year absence or you werent actually resident in the UK other than to get your education.

UKCISA
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.

Please note that the Student Advice Line is very busy. There is no queuing system, so when the adviser is on the phone to another caller you may hear a brief engaged tone and you will need to redial. Please keep trying, and you should get through eventually.

12. Long Residence

In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) on the first day of the first academic year of the course, you must either be:

(i) under the age of 18 and have lived in the UK throughout the seven-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; or

(ii) aged 18 years old or above and, preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course, have lived in the UK throughout either:

(aa) half your life; or

(bb) a period of twenty-years;

and

(b) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(c) you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course. See our definition of ordinary residence, including the need for residence to be / have been lawful;

and

(d) your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been, during any part of the period referred to in paragraph (c), wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education [unless you are to be treated as having been ordinarily resident in the UK & Islands due to either you, or a relevant family member, having been temporarily employed outside the UK & Islands].
Reply 2
I'm entitled to an Indefinite leave to remain. But i feel that with only 2 months until i submit my University application, there is not enough time apply for it. As by the time it arrives, it will probably be late to be not considered international. Don't you have to live in England for a minimum of 10 years to be eligible for a UK passport? because if that's the case then I still have 5 years to go before being eligible. I am from North Africa.
Original post by 999tigger
It is complicated.
Talk to UKCISA or the University. They will send you a fee status form anyway as the Uni gets to decide.
Are you entitled to a UK passport? If you have a passport, then what nationality are you?

The rule is below, but I see several reasons where it may not apply including not resident for long enough, especially the 2 year absence or you werent actually resident in the UK other than to get your education.

UKCISA
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.

Please note that the Student Advice Line is very busy. There is no queuing system, so when the adviser is on the phone to another caller you may hear a brief engaged tone and you will need to redial. Please keep trying, and you should get through eventually.

12. Long Residence

In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) on the first day of the first academic year of the course, you must either be:

(i) under the age of 18 and have lived in the UK throughout the seven-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; or

(ii) aged 18 years old or above and, preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course, have lived in the UK throughout either:

(aa) half your life; or

(bb) a period of twenty-years;

and

(b) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(c) you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course. See our definition of ordinary residence, including the need for residence to be / have been lawful;

and

(d) your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been, during any part of the period referred to in paragraph (c), wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education [unless you are to be treated as having been ordinarily resident in the UK & Islands due to either you, or a relevant family member, having been temporarily employed outside the UK & Islands].
Original post by Anonymous
I'm entitled to an Indefinite leave to remain. But i feel that with only 2 months until i submit my University application, there is not enough time apply for it. As by the time it arrives, it will probably be late to be not considered international. Don't you have to live in England for a minimum of 10 years to be eligible for a UK passport? because if that's the case then I still have 5 years to go before being eligible. I am from North Africa.

The university will send you a fee questionnaire.
The rules are very complicated.
If you class as international then you will have to find the money yourself and the fees will be c double.
It is in your interest imo if you can possibly qualify as a home student then you make every effort to find out if you can and go to uni as a home student not international.

Speak to UKCISA or SFE or the UNi. It really needs someone to interview you and get all the facts. Your situation is complex.
How old are you?

I apples for student finance through the long residency criteria as I have been here for more than half my life. I just hadn’t to prove to them through school and college letters and bank statements that I was here during the periods they’ve requested. It was though and a long process but my perseverance paid off in the end. I think you should qualify under the long residency criteria. However because you were absent for like 2 years I don’t know about that. It is best to call student finance to clarify but don’t take their word for it advice I got the wrong advice from one lady. If there is free legal advice you can get somewhere then search for it. All the best.
Because of the 2 year break they could count your residence from 2014 which is very harsh unless you prove to them that the 2 year break was temporary.
Reply 6
But why would that matter? Don't they only require you to start have lived for 3 years before applying, and also to have lived more than half your life?
Original post by Blackstarr
Because of the 2 year break they could count your residence from 2014 which is very harsh unless you prove to them that the 2 year break was temporary.
Reply 7
I'm 16 (turning 17 this august) So I've lived in the UK for more than half my life. And i contacted one of the student finance team and I was told that i should be fine with having lived half my life here and also having at least stayed in England for 3 years before applying, which i have.
Original post by Blackstarr
How old are you?

I apples for student finance through the long residency criteria as I have been here for more than half my life. I just hadn’t to prove to them through school and college letters and bank statements that I was here during the periods they’ve requested. It was though and a long process but my perseverance paid off in the end. I think you should qualify under the long residency criteria. However because you were absent for like 2 years I don’t know about that. It is best to call student finance to clarify but don’t take their word for it advice I got the wrong advice from one lady. If there is free legal advice you can get somewhere then search for it. All the best.
Good to know
Reply 9
Hi, Could you please update us on your eventual outcome. In a very similar situation and looking for some pointers. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending