The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You fail
Reply 61
Original post by Blackstarr
They got points for letting me drive without insurance and another thing also

Thanks for actually understanding what I was asking, unlike the other user (eye roll emoji).
Except what you asked was the outcome between two specific possibilities, which would have been fine apart from the annoying fact that one of the possibilities you mentioned was not possible under the Road Traffic Act.

And then when that was explained, you got all snarky and went off on a tangent about something not appropriate in this situation, thereby prolonging this missery! (Sigh emoji).

Apart from that we're good!
Original post by IWMTom
Thanks for actually understanding what I was asking, unlike the other user (eye roll emoji).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
What so you think that driving on the Autobahn at 80 to 110 mph is illegal or likely to cause an accident?

Instead of it being legal and merely keeping up with the BMW / Mercedes traffic, and therefore minimal or no additional risk of having an accident?

Driving fast is not the evil that you appear to be making it out to be in this thread.
Inappropriate speed is dangerous. Appropriate speed is fine from a safety point of view.

The speed limits in the UK have been set arbitrarily. And on a proportion of roads are pig-headedly too low.
I keep to UK speed limits, not because they are right and appropriate, but because I don't want 3 points and the increased insurance premiums.

I didn’t say I thought it was illegal, just that it didn’t change my opinion.

90mph would be about my maximum unless all the traffic on the road was going faster than that (so I’d have to go faster to stay with the flow), which is very unlikely due to lorries, cars pulling trailers, and drivers like me.

The reason for this is that as speed increases you have less chance to react to things, your stopping distance increases, and while your chance of an accident may not be increased (which i still don’t think I believe, though any statistics on this would be skewed)- the damage caused by any accident is very much increased and chance of fatality is also increased. I see no reason to speed and risk a more serious accident when there are so many idiots on the road. It seems unnecessary to me- I’m not in such a hurry, I enjoy driving, and I also enjoy being alive.

Keeping up with the BMW traffic is IMO unnecessary and I don’t think you can call it ‘appropiate speed’ when in fact you could just move over into the left lane.

Then again, we all have different views on this topic as this thread shows, so I don’t really care what everyone else does as long as they don’t care about me sitting happily at the speed limit or slightly above, enjoying my drive.

Side note: on the topic of UK speed limits I’m guessing it depends where you live, as mostly round me they’re reasonable with a few exceptions (20mphs going way too long is quite common).
If I pass my driving test the points from my provisional will be transferred to my actual driving licence but if I choose not to disclose my penalty points what does it mean that my insurance will be invalidated? Is it like when I get involved in an accident or get more points?
Original post by Den987
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers

''Any penalty points on your provisional licence that haven’t expired will be carried over to your full licence when you pass your test. However, your licence will be cancelled if you get any further penalty points that take you up to a total of 6 or more within 2 years of passing your driving test.''

So yes, you can do your driving test still. After you pass, those points will be put from your provisional to your actual license. They will stay there for 4 years, though generally only active for 3. Then, they will be erased. Since you have 6 points already, make sure that you don't acquire any more on your full license for the time stated. Otherwise, your license will cancelled.

The time starts from the day of the offence. So say this happened today on 11/07/2019.
And you passed your driving test say 22/07/2019.
Those points will be active on your full license till 11/07/2022
And they will be erased on 11/07/2023

But if you got more between 22/07/2019 - 22/07/2021, then your driving license will be cancelled. You are allowed up to 12 active points for your license to be cancelled after that.

Also yes, you do need to inform your insurance company. Not doing so may invalidate your insurance policy.

Hope this helps
:smile:
If I pass my driving test the points from my provisional will be transferred to my actual driving licence but if I choose not to disclose my penalty points what does it mean that my insurance will be invalidated? Is it like when I get involved in an accident or get more points?

Yes it would absolutely be grounds for your policy to be invalid, and you could be liable for prosecution for driving without insurance.

So if you have penalty points, you are required to tell your insurance company. Should you not do so, your insurance policy will most likely be invalidated. What that means is that you will no longer have insurance, and should you be caught driving without it, same story. Only this time you will also get your licence confiscated, in addition to being liable for prosecution, due to reasons I have already stated.

To answer the second part, about an accident. Even if the insurance company doesn't know for a while, they will find out. If you have an accident, then your insurance company will be notified. What they can do then is refuse to pay out, because you didn't tell them about the penalty points.

So just do the right thing and let them know. Like I already said, the points you have currently won't be there forever. So don't risk prosecution over this. Just say everything you need to, to the insurance company, drive safely, and you will be fine.
Thank you for the reply. I am wondering though, if i go to court will it be better. Can the judge just override it and cancel the whole thing as i am a first time offender. I am not making any excuses. I admit i am in the wrong. I read somewhere some judges can be lenient whilst others can be harsh. Is there leniency for first time offenders and since i don't have a licence yet(only a provisional learner)

With my provisional licence are the six points valid? what if i never choose to drive or pass my driving test
anyways?

Original post by Den987
So if you have penalty points, you are required to tell your insurance company. Should you not do so, your insurance policy will most likely be invalidated. What that means is that you will no longer have insurance, and should you be caught driving without it, same story. Only this time you will also get your licence confiscated, in addition to being liable for prosecution, due to reasons I have already stated.

To answer the second part, about an accident. Even if the insurance company doesn't know for a while, they will find out. If you have an accident, then your insurance company will be notified. What they can do then is refuse to pay out, because you didn't tell them about the penalty points.

So just do the right thing and let them know. Like I already said, the points you have currently won't be there forever. So don't risk prosecution over this. Just say everything you need to, to the insurance company, drive safely, and you will be fine.
Thank you for your reply
Original post by julietlima3
Yes it would absolutely be grounds for your policy to be invalid, and you could be liable for prosecution for driving without insurance.
Thank you for the reply. I am wondering though, if i go to court will it be better. Can the judge just override it and cancel the whole thing as i am a first time offender. I am not making any excuses. I admit i am in the wrong. I read somewhere some judges can be lenient whilst others can be harsh. Is there leniency for first time offenders and since i don't have a licence yet(only a provisional learner)

With my provisional licence are the six points valid? what if i never choose to drive or pass my driving test
anyways?

If you waste the court's time with this, it either goes well for you, or it goes worse. Part of the reason for FPNs for things like speeding is it avoids the whole court process. If you take it to court and lose, you will most likely end up with more serious penalties like a larger fine.
Reply 70

anyways?

No, the judge cannot just override it.

You broke the law, face the punishment.
I agree with IWMTom. Wasting time and resources on taking this to court is unlikely to go in your favour. Driving without insurance is a serious crime and you do have to take responsibility and deal with the consequences.

anyways?

I wouldn't bother tbh, it would be a waste of time. Those points will disappear eventually anyways. Also, yes they are valid on your provisional licence.

Focus on passing your driving test. After that, those 2 years will pass by in no time. By the 3rd those points will not be active anymore, and by the 4th there will no longer be any record of them.

Just pass the test, drive safely, and get proper insurance. That's it.
(edited 4 years ago)
If I were you I would just pay up and take the fine and points. You have no mitigation and the magistrates not reduce your punishment. In all likelihood, the magistrates will increase your punishment and may even double it.
I need some help ASAP

Long story short, I was cought driving without insurance. I was driving accompanied with a family member around my area. Then a police car was behind us and the officer flashed his light and pointed to the left. He was asking us question and found out i was uninsured. The family member accompanying me was the legal owner of the car. As a result of this, i got 6 points on my learner licence(I have not passed my driving test yet) and have to pay a £300 fine. We managed to get the car back from the police but i am still worried about the 6 points on my licence.

I knew well before driving off, that i should be insured but i was stupid to take the risk.

I am wondering if i can still take my driving practice test. I am still a learner driver.

Also, to get insurance, do i have to notify the insurance companies i have 6 points on my learner licence?

I am terrifies, i need help ASAP and some constructive advice.

You can still take your test. The points will carry over to your full license. As you are a learner 6 points is the maximum you can have (or so I believe) so on passing your rest you will lose your license and will have to then resit an extended test, which you can do right away. Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Definitely get insurance, you are being incredibly reckless not having it (if you hurt someone or damaged their property, there would be no compensation for them. Why should they pay because you haven’t got any insurance?) and uninsured drivers are one of the reasons premiums are so high for the rest of us.
The family member you were with is also incredibly irresponsible.

You still have to notify your insurance company of these points, and let it be a lesson to you that it will cost you much more in the long run not having it in the first place.
Reply 75
Original post by Nicole14510
You can still take your test. The points will carry over to your full license. As you are a learner 6 points is the maximum you can have (or so I believe) so on passing your rest you will lose your license and will have to then resit an extended test, which you can do right away. Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Completely wrong.
Your 6 points will move to your full licence, but it won't be revoked immediately. Instead, you have to go 2 years without getting any more points.
I thought is 12 points max?
Original post by julietlima3
Your 6 points will move to your full licence, but it won't be revoked immediately. Instead, you have to go 2 years without getting any more points.
i thought is 12 points max then a revokation of licence?

Original post by Den987
I wouldn't bother tbh, it would be a waste of time. Those points will disappear eventually anyways. Also, yes they are valid on your provisional licence.

Focus on passing your driving test. After that, those 2 years will pass by in no time. By the 3rd those points will not be active anymore, and by the 4th there will no longer be any record of them.

Just pass the test, drive safely, and get proper insurance. That's it.
I thought is 12 points max?

New Drivers Act 1995, if you get 6 or more points in your first 2 years of driving, your licence is completely revoked and you will have to retake everything again.

The 12 points max is how many points you can get before you will be summoned to court for a temporary driving ban. After the ban, you can drive again normally. Getting 6 points in your first 2 years does not result in a ban, it results in you losing your licence.

Latest

Trending

Trending