The Student Room Group

Swollen face from tooth abscess

What should I do? Is this serious enough to warrant an emergency dental appointment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It isn’t too painful but do I go to A+E or to my dentist?
Reply 2
Help? Anyone?
Reply 3
Emergency dentist appointment. You should get one for the same day.
Reply 4
Thank you I am waiting for them to call me back
You should try and get a same day appointment with your dentist - if you cannot, then consider A&E. Swollen face from tooth infections can get worse and result in further complications that have the potential to be life threatening if left to persist.

Source: I am a final year dental student and a pharmacist
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
You'll need to make sure you get help today, don't leave this for tomorrow. It may be worth calling 111 and explaining your situation if your dentist cannot give you an emergency appointment or you're getting increasingly worried.
Reply 7
Thank you
Are you in the UK? If so you need to call 111 as this is an emergency. They will then immediately give you an appointment at a dentist in your area.
Reply 9
Original post by woof1012
Are you in the UK? If so you need to call 111 as this is an emergency. They will then immediately give you an appointment at a dentist in your area.

Thanks, have done
Call 111 and discuss or your dentist
I can’t get an appointment for today as the nearest they can get me in is 21 miles away and I don’t have a car. Do you guys think it’ll be okay overnight?
@DrTSR please can I have your advice on this matter? Will it be okay overnight?
Or any dentist/ dentistry student/ dental nurse please
Reply 14
Don't leave it to overnight. Have you called 111 yet and explained the situation?
They just said if it gets any worse to go to A+E. I can’t get the appointment by train as they’ve been cancelled. Taking a car there is going to cost me a bomb. If I go will they do root canal procedure and give me antibiotics?
Original post by cordso
Don't leave it to overnight. Have you called 111 yet and explained the situation?
?

I know you’re a doctor but
Do you think it’ll be okay overnight?
No one here can say for sure if it will be OK if left overnight without performing a clinical examination in person.

There is a risk that it could get worse overnight.

There is also a chance the nature of it will remain the same overnight.

If you are concerned then go to A&E or contact an out of hours dentist; although it may cost you a lot to travel by car as you previously said, this is a small price to pay for your health and wellbeing.
Thank you to everyone who replied, I went and got the surgery done; hopefully this goes some way to resolving the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest