The Student Room Group

Depression affecting med apllicaiton

Hey,
So I’ve been battling with depression and anxiety for a while and now and I’ve finally taken the first step to get help. So I’m now on medication to ‘alleviate’ some of my symptoms, as of a week ago. However, I have my UCAT test date in a couple of weeks and I’m terrified of completely bottling it because of my struggle with mental health during the past year or so, as my focus hasn’t been completely on revision. Do I need to make the examiners aware of my condition or does it not matter?
EDIT: soz for typo in title :frown:

Scroll to see replies

If you are battling depression and anxiety then are you best placed to cope with the pressures of medical school? Wouldnt you be better off taking a gap year and working hard to overcome your mh issues?
Reply 2
Original post by CJClarke
Hey,
So I’ve been battling with depression and anxiety for a while and now and I’ve finally taken the first step to get help. So I’m now on medication to ‘alleviate’ some of my symptoms, as of a week ago. However, I have my UCAT test date in a couple of weeks and I’m terrified of completely bottling it because of my struggle with mental health during the past year or so, as my focus hasn’t been completely on revision. Do I need to make the examiners aware of my condition or does it not matter?
EDIT: soz for typo in title :frown:

Hey, it would be a really good idea to let your UCAS referee know which in your case might be your form tutor. They can mention it in the reference and can let the unis know if that seems appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
If you are battling depression and anxiety then are you best placed to cope with the pressures of medical school? Wouldnt you be better off taking a gap year and working hard to overcome your mh issues?

I agree. Don’t rush into anything. Your mental health is the most important thing, not getting into med school. It will all just pile on top of you and eventually won’t be able to cope. Take it from me. I
wanted to be a doctor so much but realised it wasn’t for me. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital and 8 years down the line I am still there. All because of the stress getting into uni can bring.

Edit: I have not been in 8 years continuously, just overall.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lostx
I agree. Don’t rush into anything. Your mental health is the most important thing, not getting into med school. It will all just pile on top of you and eventually won’t be able to cope. Take it from me. I
wanted to be a doctor so much but realised it wasn’t for me. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital and 8 years down the line I am still there. All because of the stress getting into uni can bring.

Edit: I have not been in 8 years continuously, just overall.

I have been putting my mental health first. I wouldn’t even be thinking of medical school if I hadn’t have done so. I know I’m capable of doing this and certainly won’t prohibit my future by being my own enemy. I can do this.
Seriously? You’re questioning my determination and ability to be a doctor because of a mental illness. I get we need support but we’re not incapable of having a job in high pressured careers!
(edited 4 years ago)

Firstly, thanks for the advice. Secondly, I didn’t ask you all to question my ability and well being with respects to applying for medical school. If I didn’t feel capable of being a doctor, I wouldn’t be applying. I’ve done bucket loads of work experience and feel I do have what it takes to be a doctor. Just because I have a so called mental illness does not mean I will prohibit my future. Thirdly, I have been ‘working hard’ to overcome my abundance of ‘issues’. Do you not think, instead of just disregarding applying to medical school, that I could receive support, be it from a counsellor, during my time at university, or will I just have to work very hard and be a good boy to get rid of my nasty illnesses and apply when I’m all happy again?
Reply 7
Seriously? You’re questioning my determination and ability to be a doctor because of a mental illness. I get we need support but we’re not incapable of having a career in high pressured jobs!

He's not said you're incapable. It's a valid question, would you be able to deal with the pressures if you struggle to deal with the pressure of the UCAT? Aside from medication, are you getting any other help? You need to look at this critically, sometimes you need to put off going to unviersity, etc. to focus and improve on your MH. I know so many people who've had to drop out of medicine due to poor mental health. Don't let yourself fall into that trap. Improve it with the help available.
Original post by Pathway
He's not said you're incapable. It's a valid question, would you be able to deal with the pressures if you struggle to deal with the pressure of the UCAT? Aside from medication, are you getting any other help? You need to look at this critically, sometimes you need to put off going to unviersity, etc. to focus and improve on your MH. I know so many people who've had to drop out of medicine due to poor mental health. Don't let yourself fall into that trap. Improve it with the help available.

Not coping with pressure is sort of another way of saying I’m incapable haha. Again thanks for the advice, but I’ve taken a year out and gotten a lot better. There’s still a long way to go but I do now fee capable of doing this. I will need support, no denying it because I’m not claiming to be someone I’m not. I have researched this thoroughly, and critically, and I’ve spoken to doctors etc about university life, so if i didn’t feel capable, I wouldn’t be posting this question :smile:
Reply 9
How are you finding the UCAT revison by the way?
Original post by ja833
How are you finding the UCAT revison by the way?

Struggling a bit with AR but I’ll get there eventually.
Not coping with pressure is sort of another way of saying I’m incapable haha. Again thanks for the advice, but I’ve taken a year out and gotten a lot better. There’s still a long way to go but I do now fee capable of doing this. I will need support, no denying it because I’m not claiming to be someone I’m not. I have researched this thoroughly, and critically, and I’ve spoken to doctors etc about university life, so if i didn’t feel capable, I wouldn’t be posting this question :smile:

Okay, well what support currently are you getting? Are you in therapy? What support will you get put in place for university? Will you be utilising DSA? Are your prospective universities aware of your MH issues?
Original post by Pathway
Okay, well what support currently are you getting? Are you in therapy? What support will you get put in place for university? Will you be utilising DSA? Are your prospective universities aware of your MH issues?

*lists all personal information/help on a student forum to prove my silly brain won’t break down during med school*
My doctor has, as I said, given me medication. As this was fairly recently, I’m still feeling the effects of the medication and how they help me, therefore, both me and the doctors don’t know exactly for sure how much they will help me. Once we’ve ran the course, they said they’ll assess me again to decide what is the next step (either continue with meds or counselling). As for support during university, I have no idea, as I’ve still got a year to wait and my doctors have only just become aware of my problems so will need to time to help me and refer (potentially) me to a counsellor/gp/hospital nearer the time. And yes, I have been emailing all med school universities that I’m nuts even though I haven’t started my ucas application and haven’t even chose my final 4 med schools to go to.
*lists all personal information/help on a student forum to prove my silly brain won’t break down during med school*
My doctor has, as I said, given me medication. As this was fairly recently, I’m still feeling the effects of the medication and how they help me, therefore, both me and the doctors don’t know exactly for sure how much they will help me. Once we’ve ran the course, they said they’ll assess me again to decide what is the next step (either continue with meds or counselling). As for support during university, I have no idea, as I’ve still got a year to wait and my doctors have only just become aware of my problems so will need to time to help me and refer (potentially) me to a counsellor/gp/hospital nearer the time. And yes, I have been emailing all med school universities that I’m nuts even though I haven’t started my ucas application and haven’t even chose my final 4 med schools to go to.

I'm not trying to attack you nor am I trying to be inflammatory, I'm just trying to see what sort of support you currently have and what sort of support you may get when you're at university. I am sorry you are upset by my line of questioning. I also have MH issues and I know how much damage they can cause, especially in high stress environments, this is why I asked if you've thought about DSA as that can give you consistent support for your time at university outside of medication (this is particularly important if your depression/MH issues have been present for 9 months or longer and are expected to last for a minimum of another 3 months). Anyway, good luck with your endeavours.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14

Do you not think you might be being a bit sensitive here? You started a thread saying you were not sure how you were going to manage the UCAT due to MH issues - an exam that lasts 2 hours - and people have expressed concern for your wellbeing at the major stress and upheaval that will come with starting a medical degree in a new environment with considerable academic pressure for 5 years. You have previously posted that you have had to postpone one A level as you did not feel you would attain the grades if you sat 3 together.
I have not seen anybody question whether you will make a good doctor, just whether this is the right time for you to be thinking about starting it. The answer might be that you feel it is, but you cannot ask advice on an open forum and then attack people when you don't like the advice you are given (which is all sensible and realistic).
Firstly, thanks for the advice. Secondly, I didn’t ask you all to question my ability and well being with respects to applying for medical school. If I didn’t feel capable of being a doctor, I wouldn’t be applying. I’ve done bucket loads of work experience and feel I do have what it takes to be a doctor. Just because I have a so called mental illness does not mean I will prohibit my future. Thirdly, I have been ‘working hard’ to overcome my abundance of ‘issues’. Do you not think, instead of just disregarding applying to medical school, that I could receive support, be it from a counsellor, during my time at university, or will I just have to work very hard and be a good boy to get rid of my nasty illnesses and apply when I’m all happy again?

Arent you the defensive one. It was a legitimate question. People on here answer hundreds of questions each week and we also deal with people who have come unstuck all the way through the process from application to graduation or not. Many in situations like yours.
If you have only just started medicating a week ago that is no time at all.

1. I didnt question your ability to be a doctor, just the impact having poor mental health will have on you. It is obviously unresolved.
2. MH issues do affect peoples ability to do exams and cope with the stresses of a degree. If you have depression and anxiety then uni is more likely to make that worse.
3. Yes you could get some support, but I wouldnt bank on it. Besides the pressure above then medical schools have tough examination systems, which can be very unforgiving. It makes sense to be in your best frame of mind so you can give your best to a course and not wasting it fighting mh issues.
4. If things do go wrong then uni can be a very expensive way to find out as your uni funding is finite.
5. If I were in that position sorting out MH before I started the course would be a priority so I could give of my best in my studies and also have a good positive social life instead of being unhappy and depressed. Nothing controversial in that. Imo it is smart. If your MH issues are serious, then you should consider warning your schools so they can take it into account be it support and any further checks they deem necessary.

Anyway you know best, the fact you cant take good genuine advice would say otherwise. Have fun. When you get to interview then be sure to have figured out your answers.
Seriously? You’re questioning my determination and ability to be a doctor because of a mental illness. I get we need support but we’re not incapable of having a job in high pressured careers!

Yes absolutely - I am a nurse and I have suffered serious mental health problems in the past. It overwhelmed my life and made me a bad and dangerous nurse.

Do not treat this lightly - you will be a better person to emerge at the end of it.....
Original post by GANFYD
Do you not think you might be being a bit sensitive here? You started a thread saying you were not sure how you were going to manage the UCAT due to MH issues - an exam that lasts 2 hours - and people have expressed concern for your wellbeing at the major stress and upheaval that will come with starting a medical degree in a new environment with considerable academic pressure for 5 years. You have previously posted that you have had to postpone one A level as you did not feel you would attain the grades if you sat 3 together.
I have not seen anybody question whether you will make a good doctor, just whether this is the right time for you to be thinking about starting it. The answer might be that you feel it is, but you cannot ask advice on an open forum and then attack people when you don't like the advice you are given (which is all sensible and realistic).

Yes, you’re right. However, my question isn’t ‘Should I apply to medical school with the following mental health issues:......’. I asked whether I should let the UCAT/admissions advisors know about my situation. I don’t need anyone to question whether this is the right time, as I didn’t once ask. I appreciate all the advice but like everyone, you’ve all presumed that because I’ve said mental health you all think I’m unstable and haven’t researched this and thought about this throughly. My brain still works guys, so I’d appreciate if you could ALL just answer my god damn question and stop suggesting I need to think everything through more, because believe it or not, I have. I’m fed up of this stigmatisation - I know how challenging the degree will be - I know I need support - I know I need to talk to people and I know I’m entering the hardest period of my life. I again, appreciate the ‘support’ and concern, but I need relevant answers to the question I posted.
Dude you seem to be getting remarkably offended at people asking questions to genuinely try and help you. I’d say the same as everyone else, you need more time to recover fully, especially if UCAT is proving stressful, before applying.
Arent you the defensive one. It was a legitimate question. People on here answer hundreds of questions each week and we also deal with people who have come unstuck all the way through the process from application to graduation or not. Many in situations like yours.
If you have only just started medicating a week ago that is no time at all.

1. I didnt question your ability to be a doctor, just the impact having poor mental health will have on you. It is obviously unresolved.
2. MH issues do affect peoples ability to do exams and cope with the stresses of a degree. If you have depression and anxiety then uni is more likely to make that worse.
3. Yes you could get some support, but I wouldnt bank on it. Besides the pressure above then medical schools have tough examination systems, which can be very unforgiving. It makes sense to be in your best frame of mind so you can give your best to a course and not wasting it fighting mh issues.
4. If things do go wrong then uni can be a very expensive way to find out as your uni funding is finite.
5. If I were in that position sorting out MH before I started the course would be a priority so I could give of my best in my studies and also have a good positive social life instead of being unhappy and depressed. Nothing controversial in that. Imo it is smart. If your MH issues are serious, then you should consider warning your schools so they can take it into account be it support and any further checks they deem necessary.

Anyway you know best, the fact you cant take good genuine advice would say otherwise. Have fun. When you get to interview then be sure to have figured out your answers.

You’re giving me advice that I already know. Why are you implying all these things when you literally asked me, irrelevantly to the question, whether I will cope with the pressures associated with the medicine degree?! I know you’ll now say, well from your ‘aggressiveness and tone’ I can imply a lot of things. You’ve asked a question that I’ve heard for for the zillionth time on something so personal to me so yes, it gets a bit annoying. I assure you all, I’ve researched this, I’ve spoken to people, I’ve been honest with myself so why am I sitting here trying to explain how I will cope when, in my question, not once does it ask for your mental health advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending