The Student Room Group

how do I get into a top uni for Law?

Hello guys,My name is Aya and I am in a very difficult situation. I have finished my IB diploma studies this year and have received a result of 34 points in total (no bonus points, 765 at HL) with subjects - HL: Russian Lit, English B and Visual Arts; SL: maths, physics and economics. As you can guess, I have missed my offers (all for Law LLB from LSE and King's). I could go into Clearing, but the problem is - my dad won't let me study in a non-top uni (we're talking Oxford, Imperial and LSE kind of level as acceptable), which will never accept me with those results. What I wanted to ask is: what do you think I should do? As in, is there an option I could get another qualification that would allow for entry to a top uni? Like a preparatory course, or a foundation year maybe? I would be ready to change the subject to, for example, Maths or Physics, but not anything like Religion, English or any kind of language really. If you think that I am crazy to even think I am worth a place in a top uni with those results, please keep in mind that it's my dad who won't physically let me study in a
Reply 1
Original post by Aya_2000
Hello guys,My name is Aya and I am in a very difficult situation. I have finished my IB diploma studies this year and have received a result of 34 points in total (no bonus points, 765 at HL) with subjects - HL: Russian Lit, English B and Visual Arts; SL: maths, physics and economics. As you can guess, I have missed my offers (all for Law LLB from LSE and King's). I could go into Clearing, but the problem is - my dad won't let me study in a non-top uni (we're talking Oxford, Imperial and LSE kind of level as acceptable), which will never accept me with those results. What I wanted to ask is: what do you think I should do? As in, is there an option I could get another qualification that would allow for entry to a top uni? Like a preparatory course, or a foundation year maybe? I would be ready to change the subject to, for example, Maths or Physics, but not anything like Religion, English or any kind of language really. If you think that I am crazy to even think I am worth a place in a top uni with those results, please keep in mind that it's my dad who won't physically let me study in a

Hey. I am in a similar situation to yourself. I have tried going through clearing to unis such as Manchester Uni of, Newcastle, Exeter etc and no luck at the course I want. I have considered switching courses and even then, they told me my grades aren't enough.

I have applied for remarking and will probably reapply for next year, as there is no point in re-sitting.
Reply 2
Original post by Aya_2000

If it's any support, my friend got a 35 with 665 HL points, missed both her offers, and managed to get a spot in clearing at Warwick for English. I know they still have some spaces in Clearing for different courses. Have a look there?
Moved to Law :smile:
Are you still looking for a uni place for this year @Aya_2000?

And can someone explain what 34 points is equivalent to in A level terms as I'm not familiar with IB?
I think 34ib is equivalent to ABB but im not sure.

Obviously ABB is not likely to be enough for somewhere like LSE or oxbridge.

Can you persuade your dad to lower his standards for uni?
Which Unis have you tried OP? Lots of top Unis should take the equivalent to AAB.
Thanks. That sounds fair enough since apparently the IB is harder
Thanks for clarifying. In that case I wonder how OP missed their offer? The Unis in question must have had Oxbridge-level requirements. Strange.
I see, like Harry I'm not familiar with IB. You learn something new everyday!
Which is the best uni you think OP could get into with 34? It sounds like they want/need to be in London which limits the choices considerably.

I'm asking in case OP returns to check his thread, which it's not clear he will. I would have thought the best thing would be for him to take a year out and reapply to the best unis he can next year
Someone on here got into Leeds with 30 points I think a month ago for Physics and had offers elsewhere. If your interested in Maths give Exeter a ring.
i dont think either is in clearing for Law although Exeter has been in clearing this year for Law with business on their Penryn campus if they still have places.
Queen Mary reduced their offers somewhat in Clearing so they could be another possibly if OP is applying again next year
Original post by harrysbar
Queen Mary reduced their offers somewhat in Clearing so they could be another possibly if OP is applying again next year

QMUL told my friend for law the lowest they’d consider is AAB if the person had mitigating circumstances if that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending