The Student Room Group

Going to the gym but gaining weight?

I've been getting back into going to the gym regularly and I'm experiencing a weight gain, I know this is normal at first as when you've been doing more exercise you tend to eat a bit more to compensate but it's been about a month&half now and I would've expected this to have stopped as it had on the past when I used to go often. Does anyone have any tips other than the obvious calorie deficit? (which I've been trying to do)

---
As a bit of insight into my routine if it helps: I go four times a week two days a week dynamic and the other two maximal effort (lower and upper muscles respectively) with a bit of cardio tucked at the end.
first reply, finally.
Reply 2
Original post by realistpotato
first reply, finally.

🎉🎉🎉🎊🎊🎉
Original post by RomNoob
🎉🎉🎉🎊🎊🎉

ty berty:biggrin:
Reply 4
Are you trying to lose fat?
If so, upping your cardio and ensuring you are in a calorie deficit will help.
While doing weights can be helpful to improve your physique, there’s no point in building muscle if it’s covered by a layer of fat.

As previously mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat- you might be gaining muscle.

Are you eating more? Has your body fat % reduced?

Either way, good luck and keep going!
Put some effort into your own research and look at the forum before asking a question asked a million times before. Eat less, and subsequently weigh less.
Reply 6
Original post by funk controller
Put some effort into your own research and look at the forum before asking a question asked a million times before. Eat less, and subsequently weigh less.

So exactly what I asked alternatives to in the post? Got it.
Reply 7
Original post by chem17
Are you trying to lose fat?
If so, upping your cardio and ensuring you are in a calorie deficit will help.
While doing weights can be helpful to improve your physique, there’s no point in building muscle if it’s covered by a layer of fat.

As previously mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat- you might be gaining muscle.

Are you eating more? Has your body fat % reduced?

Either way, good luck and keep going!

Original post by diane.l
It could be you forming muscle tone, muscle weighs more than fat so while it may seem on the outside there isn’t any direct change, you’re toning up more internally which is causing your weight gain (especially considering the way you described your routine). If this is a concern for you, try doing more cardio and endurance based activity, hope that helps!

Thanks I'll have a look at these!
Original post by RomNoob
So exactly what I asked alternatives to in the post? Got it.

The only thing that works is a calorie deficit, how do you plan on not storing energy while consuming it and not using it?
Reply 9
A couple of replies have said that muscle weights more than fat. This is wrong. Muscle is more dense than fat but 1kg of muscle weighs the same as 1kg of fat. It just takes up less space.

If you've gained weight, this means you're in a calorie surplus, so you just need to eat less. You said in your first post "when you've been doing more exercise you tend to eat a bit more to compensate". This might be your issue right there. I know you asked for suggestions other than calorie deficit but it really is the only practical way to do it. You don't even need to do cardio, although I'd always recommend some for cardiovascular health.

Quick Reply

Latest