The Student Room Group

Help idk what to do now

I wanted to apply to medicine for the 2020 entry, I have done my ucat and my score is below 650 and my band is very low. I understand that I can't apply but my school will still make me apply to university for biomedical sciences, I dont mind doing it as I can get into grad medicine however I was wondering if I did my UCAT before results day next year and got a good UCAT and exam results whether on results day I can decline the potential biomed offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine. Am I allowed to withdraw my offers on results day and if so when I am 19 am I entitled to student finance
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
What was your band and your GCSEs as some med schools may still consider you.
Reply 2
even on results day and also what will my school say? they are a very strict school.
Reply 3
Original post by ....sam2002
9=1
8=3
7=3
6=2
A=1
C=1
Band 4 but I want to do the UCAT again next year

Ye you'll be fine if you re-do the UCAT :smile:
Have you looked into taking a gap year and re-applying for medicine next year??
Reply 4
I

Original post by libbyt12
Ye you'll be fine if you re-do the UCAT :smile:
Have you looked into taking a gap year and re-applying for medicine next year??

I was thinking about taking a gap year but I know I will be applying for university for 2020 for biomed, but if I do well in the UCAT and the grades I was hoping to decline the offer and apply for medicine
Reply 5
on results day if it goes to plan, how do I decline the offer and does this mean I can reapply again also does this look bad on the university I rejected
Reply 6
I

I was thinking about taking a gap year but I know I will be applying for university for 2020 for biomed, but if I do well in the UCAT and the grades I was hoping to decline the offer and apply for medicine

Oh yeah thats 100% fine, UCAS now gives you an option to release yourself from your firm on results day.
Reply 7
Original post by libbyt12
Oh yeah thats 100% fine, UCAS now gives you an option to release yourself from your firm on results day.

and this puts me into clearing right or I can apply next year.
Reply 8
on results day if it goes to plan, how do I decline the offer and does this mean I can reapply again also does this look bad on the university I rejected

You are free to make a new UCAS application next year.You really need to stop worrying about your school.You are free to do whatever you like.I fail to see why you have to apply to biomed in the first place as you have no interest in doing it.
Reply 9

both :smile:
Original post by Scotney
You are free to make a new UCAS application next year.You really need to stop worrying about your school.You are free to do whatever you like.I fail to see why you have to apply to biomed in the first place as you have no interest in doing it.

so what should I do? because I really want to do medicine but I can't apply to it hence I am using this as a back up?
so what should I do? because I really want to do medicine but I can't apply to it hence I am using this as a back up?

It is fine if you want to do it .It just came across as the school making you do it.
I wanted to apply to medicine for the 2020 entry, I have done my ucat and my score is below 650 and my band is very low. I understand that I can't apply but my school will still make me apply to university for biomedical sciences, I dont mind doing it as I can get into grad medicine however I was wondering if I did my UCAT before results day next year and got a good UCAT and exam results whether on results day I can decline the potential biomed offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine. Am I allowed to withdraw my offers on results day and if so when I am 19 am I entitled to student finance

I know there are a few biomed and similar programmes which fast track the top (x) students onto their medicine course after the first year. Have a look into these as no UCAT required just a lot of hard work in your first year at uni lol! I only know of Newcastle Biomedicine specifically but there are others that my teachers have talked about to me
If you want to do medicine and get the required A levels redo UKAT and re apply to medicine next year. Very competitive to go bio med route.
Reply 14
Original post by Olivia1105
I know there are a few biomed and similar programmes which fast track the top (x) students onto their medicine course after the first year. Have a look into these as no UCAT required just a lot of hard work in your first year at uni lol! I only know of Newcastle Biomedicine specifically but there are others that my teachers have talked about to me

Newcastle still require those wanting to transfer to do the UCAT. You cannot get out of the admissions tests!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending