The Student Room Group

University and meningitis

Do you think it’s probable to get meningitis at uni? Because I’m so concerned over it, my sister got it at 5 years old and it’s awful. I’m just worried about it all, as I know freshers flu is most likely, but how would you know the difference between that and meningitis?
Reply 1
Make sure you contact your GP to get the Meningitis ACWY vaccine. Then you can worry less :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think it’s probable to get meningitis at uni? Because I’m so concerned over it, my sister got it at 5 years old and it’s awful. I’m just worried about it all, as I know freshers flu is most likely, but how would you know the difference between that and meningitis?

I don't know the differences but check a health website. As for how probable, well it's recommended for all freshers anyway so I would say somewhat unlikely. But it can be fatal so why take the risk. It's a free jab anyway. I'm going to have mine next week.
Original post by OddOnes
Make sure you contact your GP to get the Meningitis ACWY vaccine. Then you can worry less :tongue:

Does everyone need to get this? I had vaccines in school but not sure what they covered lol
Reply 4
Original post by Stefanidi
Does everyone need to get this? I had vaccines in school but not sure what they covered lol

It's only offered for free to people starting university. So you wouldn't have had it yet. Of course they'll check your records before though. Go get it!
Original post by OddOnes
It's only offered for free to people starting university. So you wouldn't have had it yet. Of course they'll check your records before though. Go get it!

Ohh ok, thanks I’ll make an appointment
Reply 6
Original post by OddOnes

:smile: i have thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by yaja_jaswal
I don't know the differences but check a health website. As for how probable, well it's recommended for all freshers anyway so I would say somewhat unlikely. But it can be fatal so why take the risk. It's a free jab anyway. I'm going to have mine next week.

I got the meningitis freshers leaflets and the symptoms are just as if you had a common illness, except the rash, if you put a glass on it and apply pressure and you still see the rash that’s a sign of meningitis. But you don’t always get a rash you see. I guess I just worry a little too much :smile:
Original post by OddOnes

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/men-acwy-vaccine/
Hi! I was born after August 1999 and I had vaccines in year 9 and 10 for this i believe. Will I still need this vaccine? Thanks!!

Hi there!

I would definitely recommend that if at all possible, you should try to get your meningitis vaccination before going to university, however if you don't manage to make an appointment in time it would definitely be a good idea to register at a doctors surgery near your university and get the vaccination.

It is often recommended by universities that you get a meningitis vaccination as it has been known for students to contact the disease at university. I definitely recommend that you register with a nearby doctors surgery as soon as possible when you have moved in and make an appointment to see a nurse and get the vaccination. It will definitely be worth it and will give you peace of mind :smile:

Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions! :smile:

Eliza

It is statistically unlikely, however uni students are the 2nd most at risk group, so against the general population of adults, the statistical likelihood is a lot higher. Make sure your up to date on your vaccines and if you spot any of the signs of meningitis contact a doctor or nhs 111 for advice. If the person is really unwell call 999. Don’t wait for a rash before you call, a rash is often the last symptom.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/men-acwy-vaccine/
Hi! I was born after August 1999 and I had vaccines in year 9 and 10 for this i believe. Will I still need this vaccine? Thanks!!

If you've already had it then you won't need to get it again. If you're not 100% whether you've had it or not then I'd go to your GP and check :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest