The Student Room Group

Organ Donation Awareness Week!

Scroll to see replies

I will opt out, it's just I don't want people messing with my body when I'm dead. I want it to decay. Peacefully. It might seem selfish, but it's the way I feel
Original post by Anonymous
I will opt out, it's just I don't want people messing with my body when I'm dead. I want it to decay. Peacefully. It might seem selfish, but it's the way I feel

yes youre right, you would rather your dead body decay instead of help someone live.
Original post by Le Male
My body, my choice :smile:

You don't need to explain yourself, bodily autonomy is a thing and it's a dangerous principle to guilt trip people into what to do with their own body.
I will be opting out too
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't know what the views of organ donors is in Islam, if it's allowed then i would, but scholars disagree as there is no clear verdict There are some sayings which does suggest it's not permissible

Original post by Gent2324
yes youre right it is very selfish, someone might actually die because youd rather your dead body decay instead of help someone live.
Original post by CoolCavy
You don't need to explain yourself, bodily autonomy is a thing and it's a dangerous principle to guilt trip people into what to do with their own body.
I will be opting out too

No one here is guilt tripping, someone was being a bit strange because I asked someone a question and then someone else came and asked me why they needed to answer the question, so I asked them why I need to answer their question, using their same logic
No one here is guilt tripping, someone was being a bit strange because I asked someone a question and then someone else came and asked me why they needed to answer the question, so I asked them why I need to answer their question, using their same stupid logic

People are calling people selfish which is not necessary at all, people aren't superior because they decided to donate their organs. It's a personal choice and using words like 'stupid logic', 'selfish' 'people dying because of you' isn't constructive at all.
People do not need to justify their choice to people, i dont want to donate my organs so im not going to, that is all there is too it. People dont quiz people on why they are donating.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what the views of organ donors is in Islam, if it's allowed then i would, but scholars disagree as there is no clear verdict There are some sayings which does suggest it's not permissible

If there's no clear verdict then why not go with your own moral judgment?
People are calling people selfish which is not necessary at all, people aren't superior because they decided to donate their organs. It's a personal choice and using words like 'stupid logic', 'selfish' 'people dying because of you' isn't constructive at all.
People do not need to justify their choice to people, i dont want to donate my organs so im not going to, that is all there is too it. People dont quiz people on why they are donating.

Why do you think that when I ask a question that means they must answer it?
If they don’t want to justify it they don’t need to answer...
Why do you think that when I ask a question that means they must answer it?
If they don’t want to justify it they don’t need to answer...

There's a difference between asking an inquisitive question to get to know their viewpoint more and pushing people into trying to justify themselves because they aren't doing what is 'right' according to society's moral standpoint.
The language used in this thread is not necessary at all, if we could all be respectful to one another no matter their bodily decision that would be appreciated.
There's a difference between asking an inquisitive question to get to know their viewpoint more and pushing people into trying to justify themselves because they aren't doing what is 'right' according to society's moral standpoint.
The language used in this thread is not necessary at all, if we could all be respectful to one another no matter their bodily decision that would be appreciated.

Stating the consequences of someone’s actions is completely fine and respectful, what I told that person was a fact and not a opinion.
And I’m not forcing any views on anyone I am just telling them what’s going to happen because of their choice.
I really don’t understand why you are suddenly against people asking questions and telling people the consequences of their actions, seems rather odd considering there are no opinions involved.

Regardless of whether you donate or don’t donate your organs, the fact is that someone might die because you chose not to donate, that’s not an opinion and that’s not me trying to force views on you that is just a fact...
I already opted in last year 😁 Once I’m dead I won’t exactly need my organs so why not let other people have them if it means they can have a few more years? I recently turned 17 so am giving my first pint of blood in a few weeks too 😬. I’m glad the system is changing, too many people are on the organ donation waiting lists!
I opted in to be an organ donor before and certainly won't be opting out now. I would gladly take an organ from someone now (if I needed it), so am happy and proud to donate the organs I won't need when I am dead.
Original post by Tonic Water
I opted in to be an organ donor before and certainly won't be opting out now. I would gladly take an organ from someone now (if I needed it), so am happy and proud to donate the organs I won't need when I am dead.

Yep the way I see it is if you would have an organ transplant you should be willing to donate your organs if you die. Obviously people have the rights to choose but that’s my opinion. Have you also signed up to the bone marrow register and blood donation register?
Original post by Sososnake
Yep the way I see it is if you would have an organ transplant you should be willing to donate your organs if you die. Obviously people have the rights to choose but that’s my opinion. Have you also signed up to the bone marrow register and blood donation register?

I've donated blood before. I tried signing up to the bone marrow register but at the time didn't weigh enough. That's something I'm planning to sort out once I get to university.
Original post by Tonic Water
I've donated blood before. I tried signing up to the bone marrow register but at the time didn't weigh enough. That's something I'm planning to sort out once I get to university.

Nice 😁! I’m on the bone marrow register and donating blood soon so nervous 😬
1.) People have a right to choose, I'm personally all for organ donation.

2.) It's perfectly valid to ask somebody about their decision.

3.) It's not reasonable to challenge other people's choices.
Original post by 04MR17
1.) People have a right to choose, I'm personally all for organ donation.

2.) It's perfectly valid to ask somebody about their decision.

3.) It's not reasonable to challenge other people's choices.

Preach it😁
I will be opting out too

Absolutely! I think everybody has the right to make their own choice about their own body, even in death.

I do think that people who choose to do a good thing like this should be respected for their choice, but I don't think that people should be shamed for choosing otherwise- even if their choice seems silly.

Organ donation is a great thing and I wouldn't want anybody making their decision against it based on any false ideas, myths or misunderstandings, but as long as somebody has thought about their choice and is happy with their own decision I think that's what matters.

I would encourage anybody who has made the choice not to donate to have a look at how the process works, the amazing things it can do for people's lives and have a think abot how much their dead body will mean to them compared to those amazing possibilities (especially considering the normal processes that happen after death anyway). But at the end of the day I think it's important to respect that it is their choice.

And hopefully everybody here will have a long long time to think about their choice and potentially change their minds anyway!

I think it would be nice to know some people's reasoning for either choice if they are happy to answer, but nobody should be pressured to answer if they don't want to. :smile:
Personally I was uncomfortable with the idea to start with, but decided that at the end of the day I'm having my body cremated anyway and don't see any particular meaning to my physical form. My tonsils have already been chopped out and dumped in a bin or something and I don't have any more significant attachments to any other organs (apart from them keeping me alive!). So there's kinda no reason for me not to and if I can live on a bit through my contribution to somebody else that would be great.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
Absolutely! I think everybody has the right to make their own choice about their own body, even in death.

I don't think that people who choose to do a good thing like this should be respected for their choice, but I don't think that people should be shamed for choosing otherwise- even if their choice seems silly.

Organ donation is a great thing and I wouldn't want anybody making their decision against it based on any false ideas, myths or misunderstandings, but as long as somebody has thought about their choice and is happy with their own decision I think that's what matters.

I would encourage anybody who has made the choice not to donate to have a look at how the process works, the amazing things it can do for people's lives and have a think abot how much their dead body will mean to them compared to those amazing possibilities (especially considering the normal processes that happen after death anyway). But at the end of the day I think it's important to respect that it is their choice.

And hopefully everybody here will have a long long time to think about their choice and potentially change their minds anyway!

I think it would be nice to know some people's reasoning for either choice if they are happy to answer, but nobody should be pressured to answer if they don't want to. :smile:
Personally I was uncomfortable with the idea to start with, but decided that at the end of the day I'm having my body cremated anyway and don't see any particular meaning to my physical form. My tonsils have already been chopped out and dumped in a bin or something and I don't have any more significant attachments to any other organs (apart from them keeping me alive!). So there's kinda no reason for me not to and if I can live on a bit through my contribution to somebody else that would be great.

I totally agree with you. However, my one issue is with people who would happily accept an organ transplant and yet refuse to opt in. I know it’s their choice and I trey to respect their decision but it frustrates me.
Original post by Kindred

I don't think that people who choose to do a good thing like this should be respected for their choice, but I don't think that people should be shamed for choosing otherwise- even if their choice seems silly.

It would be nice to know both views but sadly I can't say that this thread is an open accepting space for that, people have been shamed for stating their views and were they to further explain their choices would be shamed further and likely called stupid etc.
People sadly lack the ability to respect others decisions and beliefs. It's a shame as this thread could have been interesting bus alas this elitist attitude is the reason I mostly keep my options on this to myself. It's quite hurtful to be accused of being selfish/not having emotions/ being the cause of others deaths and if people are reading this who also want to opt out they will be dissuaded from sharing their opinions which I think is a shame.
Clearly people on this thread only want people to comment if they are going to go I've opted in!!!! Which is just enforcing an echochamber and stifling discussion.
Very disappointing thread but I can't say I'm surprised.

Quick Reply

Latest