The Student Room Group

Urgent Appointment After Blood Test - Should I worry?

I had a routine blood test a little under a week ago (I have them every six weeks for hypothyroidism) and this time I got my results back and the GP said to make an 'urgent' appointment and to attend a walk in session today or as soon as possible. I'm not near my uni GP right now so it will be a few days before I can get the results and the GP said they can't give them to me over the phone.

Should I worry? Because I feel like I should.

Normally when I get my blood test results they say to make a routine appointment when I can to discuss the results. So I'm pretty worried.
Reply 1
Original post by spenceral
I had a routine blood test a little under a week ago (I have them every six weeks for hypothyroidism) and this time I got my results back and the GP said to make an 'urgent' appointment and to attend a walk in session today or as soon as possible. I'm not near my uni GP right now so it will be a few days before I can get the results and the GP said they can't give them to me over the phone.

Normally when I get my blood test results they say to make a routine appointment when I can to discuss the results. So I'm pretty worried.

No point worrying just get yourself to doctor's asap.Does your GP not do phone consultations?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
No point worrying just get yourself to doctor's asap.Does your GP not do phone consultations?

Normally they do and I have gotten results from the GP over the phone dozens of times at this point in my life, but this time they said they were unable to give me the results over the phone. This is the thing that worries me the most and I'm just so confused!

Can't see the GP until Thursday earliest either!
Reply 3
Normally they do and I have gotten results from the GP over the phone dozens of times at this point in my life, but this time they said they were unable to give me the results over the phone. This is the thing that worries me the most and I'm just so confused!

Can't see the GP until Thursday earliest either

Why can you not get there sooner?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Why can you not get there sooner?

I live six hours away from the university GP and I don't get back there until late wednesday (like 11pm)
Reply 5
I live six hours away from the university GP and I don't get back there until late wednesday (like 11pm)

Phone tomorrow and explain you cannot get back until Thursday and see what they advise.

Presumably, there is something on your blood tests that either requires your meds to be changed or some further investigations. Was it the actual GP that you spoke to or just the admin staff? If the latter, they might not know what the results showed or what they mean, hence can't discuss them over the phone.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
Presumably, there is something on your blood tests that either requires your meds to be changed or some further investigations. Was it the actual GP that you spoke to or just the admin staff? If the latter, they might not know what the results showed or what they mean, hence can't discuss them over the phone.

I spoke to the actual GP and normally they tell me that I need to go for my medication to be reviewed/changed especially if I am not in uni
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Phone tomorrow and explain you cannot get back until Thursday and see what they advise.

I tried explaining that I wouldn't be able to go there and they just advised going to the walk in as soon as I can when I get back
Reply 9
I tried explaining that I wouldn't be able to go there and they just advised going to the walk in as soon as I can when I get back

Then do that.If it was really serious they would tell you to go to A and E today.Just go on Thursday and chill out in the meantime.
I spoke to the actual GP and normally they tell me that I need to go for my medication to be reviewed/changed especially if I am not in uni

Hmm, in that case I'm not sure... I guess if they are OK with you not coming until Thursday, it's not super urgent as they would have told you to go to hospital if it was.

Good luck for the appointment, hopefully it will be nothing too concerning.
Original post by black tea
Hmm, in that case I'm not sure... I guess if they are OK with you not coming until Thursday, it's not super urgent as they would have told you to go to hospital if it was.

Good luck for the appointment, hopefully it will be nothing too concerning.

We are agreed then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending