The Student Room Group

Disability at Uni

I’ve just been referred for genetic testing in London, but i am at university in Cornwall. Any one who has experienced the difficulties of disability care while at uni, have you got any tips for managing something this disruptive and covering the cost of the transport?
(It will be a minimum 12hr and ÂŁ90 round trip for each appointment!)
Reply 1
Will you be going on the train? Even if it's a small amount, if you got a railcard you would be saving a lot long-term... Assuming you don't have one already, that is.
Reply 2
Original post by Doomotron
Will you be going on the train? Even if it's a small amount, if you got a railcard you would be saving a lot long-term... Assuming you don't have one already, that is.

thats the price with a railcard! Its a lot of money!
Original post by 16hdennis
I’ve just been referred for genetic testing in London, but i am at university in Cornwall. Any one who has experienced the difficulties of disability care while at uni, have you got any tips for managing something this disruptive and covering the cost of the transport?

I would contact the department and ask them first if they can do a video chat with you. When I had genetic testing, it was literally one appointment and they only asked me questions about my family history.

It’s always worth asking if they can make the reasonable adjustment to adapt the appointment to remote or video, unless there’s something specific they need you in person for.

Alternatively, there will most likely be funds at your university you can apply for if they insist you need to be there in person, I’d say look into those and see if any can help.
Reply 5
Original post by -Eirlys-
I would contact the department and ask them first if they can do a video chat with you. When I had genetic testing, it was literally one appointment and they only asked me questions about my family history.

I’ll definitely ask for the first appointment to be a video call, but I’ve been told I’ll need blood tests for them to look for and isolate the specific genes.
Reply 6
Original post by TiredPhdSpoonie
It’s always worth asking if they can make the reasonable adjustment to adapt the appointment to remote or video, unless there’s something specific they need you in person for.

Alternatively, there will most likely be funds at your university you can apply for if they insist you need to be there in person, I’d say look into those and see if any can help.

I am definitely going to ask about video chats! Unfortunately, I will have to go there at least twice because they need blood tests to look for the genes. But I will look into what the uni can do to help, thank you!
I’ll definitely ask for the first appointment to be a video call, but I’ve been told I’ll need blood tests for them to look for and isolate the specific genes.

You may be able to receive the blood form through the post and have them done at a local hospital outpatient bloods department.

Quick Reply

Latest