The Student Room Group

Blood in stool advice pleaseee

Idk what to do because a couple of days ago I found blood in school. I arranged an appointment with my GP, which is always initially by phone call, but ended up missing all the calls because I ended up being unavailable and my texts weren't sending to say so. The next day I missed the call again because even though I literally had the phone next to me and kept checking it for some reason it didn't ring. Anyway it was just unlucky. So my GP sent me a text saying that as a one off, its usually nothing to worry about. But this doesn't really reassure me because what if it isn't a one off? And my bowel movements have also been looser occasionally for the past few months, which I didn't mention (although they haven't been more frequent or anything). I really want to arrange another phone call but I can't for the next few days and I'm scared it will seem weird if I just call up about the same problem a week later. But I feel like the loose stools sort of changes everything. Although at the same time they haven't been that loose, just a bit softer. IDK I'm just confused what to do next.
Reply 1
You are self diagnosing and probably googling incessantly which is never a good idea, so you really do need to speak to your GP as soon as feasibly possible to draw a line under this.
Reply 2
Blood in stool is usually nothing to worry about.

Bright red blood or red blood in your stool is superficial (meaning it’s fresh and occurring low/very low down in your gastrointestinal system.

Common causes of this are:
- Piles
- Fissures
- Polyps

The above are often caused by:
- Constipation
- Obesity
- Straining
- Long periods of sitting on your bottom
- Poor Diet
- Hardened stools
- Anal Sex

The only time you should be worries is when it is black/tarry/sticky stools.
Also if you experience symptoms of anaemia i.e. fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, dizzy when standing etc.
Lastly, any new changes in weight (decreases) reduced appetite, abdominal distension etc.

Do your best to actually see your GP.

Other than that, dont worry about it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Idk what to do because a couple of days ago I found blood in school. I arranged an appointment with my GP, which is always initially by phone call, but ended up missing all the calls because I ended up being unavailable and my texts weren't sending to say so. The next day I missed the call again because even though I literally had the phone next to me and kept checking it for some reason it didn't ring. Anyway it was just unlucky. So my GP sent me a text saying that as a one off, its usually nothing to worry about. But this doesn't really reassure me because what if it isn't a one off? And my bowel movements have also been looser occasionally for the past few months, which I didn't mention (although they haven't been more frequent or anything). I really want to arrange another phone call but I can't for the next few days and I'm scared it will seem weird if I just call up about the same problem a week later. But I feel like the loose stools sort of changes everything. Although at the same time they haven't been that loose, just a bit softer. IDK I'm just confused what to do next.

There isn't anything to be "confused" about. You just need to ring your GP, explain what's happened, and request a new appointment.

Quick Reply

Latest