The Student Room Group

Stopping Driving Lessons

I’ve been driving since February and my instructor wants me to book my test but there aren’t any available before I go to university.

I’m struggling to afford lessons because I pay for them myself and they are £40 a week which takes a chunk out my wages and I’m trying to save for university.

I’m considering stopping my driving lessons immediately so I can save for university and enjoy my summer a bit more without having to constantly stress about money.

Is this a good idea? and if so, how can I tell my instructor about it? (That’s what’s stressing me the most, because he is self-employed so I feel bad about stopping)
Original post by caitlingilbert01
I’ve been driving since February and my instructor wants me to book my test but there aren’t any available before I go to university.

I’m struggling to afford lessons because I pay for them myself and they are £40 a week which takes a chunk out my wages and I’m trying to save for university.

I’m considering stopping my driving lessons immediately so I can save for university and enjoy my summer a bit more without having to constantly stress about money.

Is this a good idea? and if so, how can I tell my instructor about it? (That’s what’s stressing me the most, because he is self-employed so I feel bad about stopping)

just tell your instructor that you do not need any lessons for the time being. he will get over it.
He's running a business, you're a customer, you're not obliged to continue purchasing the service. Most driving instructors are self employed and are used to customers cutting their lessons.
Reply 3
You're making a mistake stopping your lessons, but it's your choice.

All the lessons you've done up to this point will basically be forgotten and you'll have to go through the whole process yet again. Also, you're not going to have university running five days a week 24/7, you'll find a slot. Just book your driving test and you can change it around 3/7 times if you don't like the date/time.

Just get the driving out the way.
Yeah I understand where you’re coming from, and I do really want to get driving out the way. The main obstacle is money. My job ends next friday (I work as a cleaner at my school) and I’m yet to find a summer job, so i’m trying to save as much as I can to help me set up for uni.

I might book my test but slow down on my lessons. I’m not sure, it’s a tricky situation
Original post by Xarao
You're making a mistake stopping your lessons, but it's your choice.

All the lessons you've done up to this point will basically be forgotten and you'll have to go through the whole process yet again. Also, you're not going to have university running five days a week 24/7, you'll find a slot. Just book your driving test and you can change it around 3/7 times if you don't like the date/time.

Just get the driving out the way.
Reply 5
Yeah I understand where you’re coming from, and I do really want to get driving out the way. The main obstacle is money. My job ends next friday (I work as a cleaner at my school) and I’m yet to find a summer job, so i’m trying to save as much as I can to help me set up for uni.

I might book my test but slow down on my lessons. I’m not sure, it’s a tricky situation

I understand. I mean driving isn't a complete necessity for it to impact your daily livelihood. However, if you can make your income work/find another job, then definitely go for it. If not, take a little pause till you have some form of income but resume straight after because it's not worth it going through the beginning again. This is me speaking from experience btw, I spent 300 quid last year on driving and just stopped because I wanted to save my money. Completely regret it now.

Keep looking and ask for cancellations. Tests get cancelled in the summer ...

You could cut down the lessons to one a fortnight and ask a parent if they will take you out.
Reduce your lessons and look for test cancellations, I found one a week out within a couple of days just by keeping an eye on the website. Loads of tests get cancelled.
Set your priorities. Going out having fun with mates never goes over something like money for your driving test. And regarding the point where you don’t want to disappoint your instructor. It makes sense, imagine Anthony Joshua quitting boxing and ditching his coach. His coach will get over it but it’s kinda peak.
go for cancellations
Reply 10
forget what everyone else says! just be you lol.
40 quid doesnt seem like alot but hell it is lol!
£40 a driving lesson is too much unless it is 2 hours or an hour and a half.

but when i was driving, i just couldnt be bothered anymore and just stopped for 3-4 months.
when i came back to driving obvs i was a bit rusty, but in my opionion the drivng skills are instinctive by tghen
How is it 40 quid for a lesson
Is there any way you could become a named driver on your parents car?
update: i decided to stick with it & continue driving! it definitely caused some financial strain for me during the summer and i had to work at start of september when instead i wanted to relax before uni but i’ve managed to pull through and my test is tomorrow!!
update: i decided to stick with it & continue driving! it definitely caused some financial strain for me during the summer and i had to work at start of september when instead i wanted to relax before uni but i’ve managed to pull through and my test is tomorrow!!

good luck !!! xx :h::groovy::excited:
Original post by Sheperd23
good luck !!! xx :h::groovy::excited:

thank you so much!! it’s at 8:20am though so i’m nervous because it is school rush hour😅
thank you so much!! it’s at 8:20am though so i’m nervous because it is school rush hour😅

How’d it go?
Original post by RedGiant
How’d it go?

i failed😂 im so annoyed because in total i only got 4 faults!!! but one was serious because a lady was about to cross the road apparently but i kept on driving when i should’ve stopped, but i didnt realise and didnt react because it wasnt an official crossing area but she said it was a serious fault so oh well🤠 now i gotta wait until january to do my test because of uni😂
i failed😂 im so annoyed because in total i only got 4 faults!!! but one was serious because a lady was about to cross the road apparently but i kept on driving when i should’ve stopped, but i didnt realise and didnt react because it wasnt an official crossing area but she said it was a serious fault so oh well🤠 now i gotta wait until january to do my test because of uni😂

Unlucky, only 3 minors is still pretty good though :smile:
Reply 19
I understand, I was ready to take my practical test but could no longer afford it and had to stop lessons but didn't want to. I just concentrated on my education college and uni. Now that I've completed my education I want to get back into driving but am waiting to get a job first. It won't be easy, I'll have to start from scratch because I've forgotten a lot but I really want to get my drivers licence. I didn't tell my instructor, when I had my last lesson, when they asked when I'd like another lesson I said I don't know and the instructor said ok contact me when you want another lesson and that was it. I never texted them and didn't keep their number. I wish I had, the instructor was really good, I'll have to find a new one.

Why are you quitting your job? You could still work part time while at uni or use your maintenance loan if there's any money left over for driving. A few hours a week on driving isn't going to effect your studying so if you can, book the practical test and keep driving while your good at it or you'll have to start from scratch later on. Or maybe ask someone you know who drives and can give you free lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending