The Student Room Group

David Cameron to serve as Foreign Secretary following a General Election

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/02/david-cameron-return-politics-entitlement

Former Prime Minister David Cameron is no stranger to EU negotiations, reconciling with staunch leavers and engaging with the general public.
As a member of the treasury, within an office he has stated a desire to serve in the UK's exit from the European Union could be achieved more efficiently on the basis of his experience at the top of politics. More so his appointment would help stabilise the government benches, Cameron who has been credited for the modernisation and re-birth of One-Nationism within the Tory Party, by finding the middle ground between Euroskeptic hardliners and moderates.
Maaad!!
Original post by katherinecroft
Maaad!!

it's a sound plan as far as I'm concerned
NB: The incumbent Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab would be transferred to Secretary for Exiting the EU whilst Stephen Barclay could be appointed as Principal Personal Secretary to the Prime Minister.
Cameron recently described Boris Johnson as a liar whose Brexit position was decided solely on the basis of personal gain. It is obviously politically impossible for so scathing a former PM to serve in Johnson's cabinet during the Brexit negotiations or indeed at any other time.
This begs the question of a potential return of May in front-stage politics, however I denounce this proposal as of any relative negotiating strength given the inextricable relation between the Former PM May and the deeply rejected W.A.
Am I reading the words of a prophet, a satirist, or somebody who's just been shot and I've woken up in 2017 - is it real, or in my mind?
Original post by tenacity
Cameron recently described Boris Johnson as a liar whose Brexit position was decided solely on the basis of personal gain. It is obviously politically impossible for so scathing a former PM to serve in Johnson's cabinet during the Brexit negotiations or indeed at any other time.

Within this current phase of time I do not see a Boris Administration leading the UK out of the EU under a Commons approved withdrawal agreement likewise I don't see the viability of Boris's role as Tory Leader given the ongoing split between moderates and hardliners. My proposal would be best matched with a freshly appointed Conservative Government with a renewed mandate under a general election, with a unifying leadership.
Original post by Carbon Dioxide
Am I reading the words of a prophet, a satirist, or somebody who's just been shot and I've woken up in 2017 - is it real, or in my mind?

Neither the former, middle or latter. You're reading the justified prediction of a Modern British Politics Pundit!
Reply 9
Dont you need to be, well, in government to do this? Not a disgraced former politician.
Original post by Napp
Dont you need to be, well, in government to do this? Not a disgraced former politician.

A person can be appointed to a cabinet position and given a peerage. It worked for disgraced former politician Peter Mandelson.
......you can't attack several cabinet ministers then get a peerage and shoe in job with the same cabinet. I don't believe newspapers. Not sure why anyone does.
News article in OP is from 2018; yet another clickbait title. :blow:
Original post by _Wellies_
A person can be appointed to a cabinet position and given a peerage. It worked for disgraced former politician Peter Mandelson.

Likewise Labour's Shadow Attorney General Shami Chakrabarti by right of peerage would serve as a Cabinet Minister in the case of a Labour victory
Original post by filletofish
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/02/david-cameron-return-politics-entitlement

Former Prime Minister David Cameron is no stranger to EU negotiations, reconciling with staunch leavers and engaging with the general public.
As a member of the treasury, within an office he has stated a desire to serve in the UK's exit from the European Union could be achieved more efficiently on the basis of his experience at the top of politics. More so his appointment would help stabilise the government benches, Cameron who has been credited for the modernisation and re-birth of One-Nationism within the Tory Party, by finding the middle ground between Euroskeptic hardliners and moderates.

This is an old idea floated by the media without much evidence, as recently as his interview with ITV on Monday he stated that he would not be returning to frontline politics, even going as far as saying that ex Prime Ministers probably should not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending