The Student Room Group

University sucks

Lifelong debt that requires regular repayment which would be better off spent on other things. Years of my life wasted not making any money. Useless degree as technology advances so rapidly everything they teach me is obsolete already let alone in a few years time. Wish people would have advised me against university. My one and only life already ruined
Have moved this to uni life for you :smile:
Original post by UniversityFoggy
Lifelong debt that requires regular repayment which would be better off spent on other things. Years of my life wasted not making any money. Useless degree as technology advances so rapidly everything they teach me is obsolete already let alone in a few years time. Wish people would have advised me against university. My one and only life already ruined

There are loads of options to enter different careers - you don't have to go to/stay at university if you don't want to.
Ruined? Stop being such a dramatic ****.

It's not lifelong though.. you only have to pay if you get a certain amount of salary and even then for a limited time so you don't even need to pay the full amount.
As above, I also know people where their degree has enabled stellar careers. It's all about being smart, do not choose degrees without considering the job prospects.

I mean this is one narrative, but Unis has opened up doors to me that would be impossible to do without it.

I will now likely be able to have at worst a comfortable middle class income & life, and a job in a field I love (at worst).

Yes I will have to pay 9% of everything over 25K for quite a while but I would rather make 70K and do that, then 35K and not have to... yes I have mates who left school at 16 who now make 'good' money and have a house deposit no debt etc already sorted etc, but they also missed out on a lot (including career wise).

If you want to make the argument that a media studies from an ex-poly Uni, I think thats a valid point. Not all uni degrees are financially or academically worth it (yet unis still offer these, because people sign up) but too bash Uni in general is ridiculous. Take a degree such as Economics at Oxford, I doubt that anyone leaves that program thinking $hit how am i gunna keep a roof over my head.

Also, your life is not already ruined, if you can say to employers I have gained skills X,Y,Z by doing A,B,C is it harder with some degree choice of course, but you have to spend some time learning how to get through the graduate & early career job world.
(edited 4 years ago)

You love being dramatic.

1. Not a life long debt and its more like quasi debt than real debt.
i) isnt lifelong if you pay it off.
ii) It gets written off eventually.
iii) very generous repayment terms, that they only ask you to repay over a very long period and small amounts based on ability to pay.
2. Years of your life wasted? Youy should have done your research and got into a decent uni on a decent course.
3. It isnt uni ruining your life its your attitude.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
There are loads of options to enter different careers - you don't have to go to/stay at university if you don't want to.

like what? (other than apprenticeships)

"long life debt" do you live in the US? cause 9K is better than 300K
University is a complete waste of time
Original post by Peter.JohnsonJR
University is a complete waste of time

it's not a waste of time but it's overrated for sure
Original post by 999tigger
You love being dramatic.

1. Not a life long debt and its more like quasi debt than real debt.
i) isnt lifelong if you pay it off.
ii) It gets written off eventually.
iii) very generous repayment terms, that they only ask you to repay over a very long period and small amounts based on ability to pay.
2. Years of your life wasted? Youy should have done your research and got into a decent uni on a decent course.
3. It isnt uni ruining your life its your attitude.

agreed
Original post by 1st superstar
like what? (other than apprenticeships)

It depends on the career. Obviously some careers will require university level study (e.g. medicine), but others can definitely be worked around.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It depends on the career. Obviously some careers will require university level study (e.g. medicine), but others can definitely be worked around.

Yes but what careers involve you not needing to have done an apprenticeship or go to university (other than being a sales manager)
Original post by 1st superstar
Yes but what careers involve you not needing to have done an apprenticeship or go to university (other than being a sales manager)

If you at least have GCSEs and A levels (or equivalent) you can get plenty of jobs, in which you can work your way up the ladder. Looking at any job website gives you an idea of the variety. There's also the armed forces, which provides many opportunities to learn advanced skills.

As I say, not every job will be possible with this approach, but it is by no means a non-starter for others.
Original post by random_matt
As above, I also know people where their degree has enabled stellar careers. It's all about being smart, do not choose degrees without considering the job prospects.

I chose computer science, complete waste of time. The technology advances so fast that the university can't keep up with it and everything we learn is outdated. Furthermore you have to learn lots of different models when you will only need one or two of them for your job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending