The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out in final year but not sure what to do...

I am currently a third year student studying an Illustration course; right now I'm at the point where I want to drop out. Since starting my course two years ago, I've been stressed out because of the work and the thought of not getting the grades I need to get. In first year, I was close to dropping out because of this and I used to have stress related illness (mainly vomiting at random tines/getting ill etc.). I have seen a doctor before and a counsellor + I did talk to my tutor about my options and I chose to at least stick it out to see how things would go.

Looking back at my university experiences, I've realised that doing academia/degrees isn't really for me. I knew it wasn't going to be easy (I am used to doing a lot of work in courses even though I don't enjoy it). I don't necessarily regret going to university in a way because I've made good friends that I want to stay in touch with, I've done work experience and most of the career/digital workshops have been really useful to me. However, as mentioned the academic stress gets to me a lot.

I have been doing a lot of research in terms of what to do and I know that if I were to leave university (IIRC) now, I would get a DipHE (as I have completed two years of my course already without resits). As of now, I am unsure of my decision, a part of me wants to get the degree so I can at least finish the course but a part of me wants to drop out. Knowing my mindset, if I dropped out, I wouldn't want to try university again and I am OK with it. On the other hand, if I finish the degree, I know that I don't want to do a masters (I would rather get work experience in the art industry instead whilst doing full time work as I want to explore my options early on after graduation).

I'm not really sure where I'm at with this so some advice would help.
You've come this far.. just finish the degree with a bang & get a 1st.

Then you can do whatever you want to do ranging from a postgrad to employment in a completely different field. It'd be a different situation if you were in your first year and considering dropping out.
Original post by cheerIeader
You've come this far.. just finish the degree with a bang & get a 1st.

Then you can do whatever you want to do ranging from a postgrad to employment in a completely different field. It'd be a different situation if you were in your first year and considering dropping out.

I guess that is the side I am leaning towards; I would like to get either a 2:1/1st (this is what I want to aim for as I don't want to get a low grade and regret) but at the same time a part of me isn't confident; as mentioned before academia really stresses me out. I don't know if I am the only one who feels like this but I guess a part of me kinda rushed into university (until second year of college I never really had talks about other options, it was always university or be a failure). I think me doing this degree has made me learn a few things + I don't want to do something I'll regret later.
Original post by sadsushi
I guess that is the side I am leaning towards; I would like to get either a 2:1/1st (this is what I want to aim for as I don't want to get a low grade and regret) but at the same time a part of me isn't confident; as mentioned before academia really stresses me out. I don't know if I am the only one who feels like this but I guess a part of me kinda rushed into university (until second year of college I never really had talks about other options, it was always university or be a failure). I think me doing this degree has made me learn a few things + I don't want to do something I'll regret later.

*typo on regret, I meant regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending