The Student Room Group

I had measles - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greywolftwo
No I don’t, don’t worry, the doctors are still pretty worried and the chances of getting it a very high in my current situation

What precautions do you have to take now? Is there anything you can and can’t do compared to others? Like do you require more “protection”?
Reply 21
Original post by itscourtchicks
What precautions do you have to take now? Is there anything you can and can’t do compared to others? Like do you require more “protection”?

No precautions, there will be no visible signs of SSPE until I get to the time in which it is usually contracted. I will be more seceptable to illnesses and have already been ill with a virus for 3 weeks. It will take me longer to recover from illness and measles can also wipe your white blood cells from other vaccinations as well so I might have to get some more vaccinations soon as well as the flu jab
Reply 22
Original post by aciana
sorry to hear you contracted this. it sounds that you feel strongly about people being vaccinated? but just to understand can I ask, do you want the vaccine to be looked at again and made safer so people do not contract it at all, or would you advise to others that it is technically "safe" but there is a small risk which we have to accept?

There is nothing wrong with the vaccine and works extremely well, it’s just that I’m someone who’s body didn’t respond to the vaccine very well, it’s about 1% of all vaccinations I think.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
I welcome those who may be against vaccinations to discuss their opinion - if anyone in that category reads this. I just want to know why your against vaccinations and a bit of background as to why
I welcome those who may be against vaccinations to discuss their opinion - if anyone in that category reads this. I just want to know why your against vaccinations and a bit of background as to why

Very respectable of you
I had measles when I was 4.
20 years later, I'm healthy.
My parents are anti-vaxxers, only vaccine I've had is polio because my uncle was looking after me while they were away.
Reply 26
Original post by londonmyst
I had measles when I was 4.
20 years later, I'm healthy.
My parents are anti-vaxxers, only vaccine I've had is polio because my uncle was looking after me while they were away.

I had it a few months ago, doctors said I was lucky I was able to make a full recovery as they didn’t think it would be possible but I did, why are your parents anti-vaxxers?

I didn't get the MMR vaccine until recently (I still need to get the follow up shot!) because my parents didn't want me to have it as a child. They're not anti vaxxers as I received all my other vaccines, but I think the fear created around the MMR vaccine in particular made them reluctant to give me it
I had it a few months ago, doctors said I was lucky I was able to make a full recovery as they didn’t think it would be possible but I did, why are your parents anti-vaxxers?

My father worked on developing and testing vaccines, he's also into eugenics.
My mother's family were ultra-traditionalist catholics, very hostile to modern life and secular culture.
Believed that all other religions were the devil's work along with electricity, the telephone, vaccines, divorce, secular sweets and a few hundred other things.

Quick Reply

Latest