The Student Room Group

Panicking about choosing 2nd year housemates

So I'm about 2 months into 1st year, and some people are thinking about 2nd year housing (people sort it out kind of early at my uni). So far, I havent naturally fallen into a group of friends like I thought I would - I'm friendly with lots of people from different places, but I'm not part of a cohesive group yet (partly because my housemates aren't really 'my people'), so there is no natural group to live with next year.

Lots of people seem to have quickly found a sort of 'best friend(s)' at uni, this would be the person they would start conversations about 2nd year housing with. Meanwhile I'm still trying to work out who my friends are - not just acquaintances. Because of this, I don't really have a go-to person to ask about getting a house together in 2nd year, let alone a group of people to share with. And because I'm not publicly looking for housemates, and because I'm not really part of a friendship group yet, I don't think anyone is going to ask me.

There is a sort of formed group of people on my course who I'm friendly with, and I thought they would be the people I can most imagine living with next year, but it feels awkward asking because I'm not really a part of their group.

I'm just really worried I will end up with noone to live with in 2nd year.

anyone got advice/similar experiences?
OMG. that’s literally what’s going on at my uni. I know some people who have decided who they are going to live with and have already applied for houses!!
I just kinda brought the conversation up with my friend on my course and we have kinda agreed to live together next year. I’d suggest just forcing yourself to go up and be friendly with people and if they feel right just bring the conversation up. I kinda said the following “there’s a boy in my flat who has already decided to live with 8 other boys and they have applied for houses already. We’ve literally only just got here!” Then our conversation basically went onto how ridiculous it all is and that we might as well live together so we feel like we’ve made some progress.
Honestly I am in exactly the same position right now. I’m sort of forced into a group with my flat mates because we live together but they’re honestly not who I would normally hang around with and they’re very different from me. And they’ve brought up the idea of living together but I actually cannot live with them next year so I’ve taken the decision to just go with the flow and see what happens next year and if any spare rooms will be available next year on the Facebook housing pages etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
OMG. that’s literally what’s going on at my uni. I know some people who have decided who they are going to live with and have already applied for houses!!
I just kinda brought the conversation up with my friend on my course and we have kinda agreed to live together next year. I’d suggest just forcing yourself to go up and be friendly with people and if they feel right just bring the conversation up. I kinda said the following “there’s a boy in my flat who has already decided to live with 8 other boys and they have applied for houses already. We’ve literally only just got here!” Then our conversation basically went onto how ridiculous it all is and that we might as well live together so we feel like we’ve made some progress.

Thanks for this, I guess I should just bite the bullet and bring up the conversation!
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly I am in exactly the same position right now. I’m sort of forced into a group with my flat mates because we live together but they’re honestly not who I would normally hang around with and they’re very different from me. And they’ve brought up the idea of living together but I actually cannot live with them next year so I’ve taken the decision to just go with the flow and see what happens next year and if any spare rooms will be available next year on the Facebook housing pages etc.

Did you end up finding a spare room? Cause I was in a similar situation a few months ago, except I decided to stay with my current flatmates. However, I'm regretting it now as we're quite different people. Any tips on how to enjoy second year would be much appreciated. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending