The Student Room Group

Should i do a placement Year

Hey i am considering of doing economics at uni, should i do a placement year, and if so what does a placement year consist and what will i gain/miss out on.
Reply 1
If you can get on to a placement test course then you should do it. A lot of people come out of uni and aren’t able to get a job because the jobs require you to already have work experience. Placement year will give you work experience for a whole year which is highly sought after by employers and you also get paid on your placement year. My friend’s brother did his placement year 4 years ago and still has money left over from it.
Reply 2
*placement year course (not placement test course) haha
Original post by XDaJokerz
Hey i am considering of doing economics at uni, should i do a placement year, and if so what does a placement year consist and what will i gain/miss out on.

Placement years are great if you can find a decent placement, but that is something you will have to find for yourself, which is not always clear from the way unis market the courses. Some unis help students a lot with finding placements, others do not, so you need to ask how much help they will provide and what links they have with the sort of employers you would want to work for.

At most unis, you don't have to say whether you are going to do a placement year until you have completed Year 1 at least - some people will have applied for the 3 year course and some for the 4 year course but in reality there is a lot of flexibility about this. As long as the department offers placement years, you would very likely be able to do one even if you had initially applied for the 3 year course. Whether you could switch would be down to your academic progress and of course, whether you could find a placement opportunity worth doing. A decent placement or internship will give you valuable skills that will look great on your CV when it comes to applying for jobs and enable you to demonstrate commercial awareness etc
Reply 4
i want to studt economics specifically, would there be any good placements for that, i am looking to apply for queen mary, ucl, bristol and goldsmith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending