The Student Room Group

Laptop Question?

How do you clean the laptop touchpad?

I tried using dettox spray on some kitchen paper and it broke my laptop. luckily i was just cleaning it before sending it back anyway and it was in the 6 months from purchase meaning i get my money back ...but tbh I would have been ****ed if they didn't accept it.

So how do you clean the touch-pad?

you can't use anything wet then?

I've noticed before that if a big bit of sweat or something gets on the touchpad that it starts malfunctioning ..so i'm guessing anything damp is out of the question?
is it to clean off dirt?

try using a microfibre cloth, they're quite good.
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1611
is it to clean off dirt?

try using a microfibre cloth, they're quite good.

yes, to clean off dirt.

ok thanks. I would prefer to put something damp on the cloth to make the cleaning more thorough but given how it often makes laptops malfunction it's just not worth the risk imo.
Original post by ANM775
yes, to clean off dirt.

ok thanks. I would prefer to put something damp on the cloth to make the cleaning more thorough but given how it often makes laptops malfunction it's just not worth the risk imo.

yeah that's why I said microfibre cloth, it's like a damp cloth but dry, it's quite good at getting off dirt compared to normal cloths.

weird that your laptop can't handle a damp cloth, how wet are you making the cloth exactly?
Reply 4
yeah that's why I said microfibre cloth, it's like a damp cloth but dry, it's quite good at getting off dirt compared to normal cloths.

weird that your laptop can't handle a damp cloth, how wet are you making the cloth exactly?

Not dripping wet, but I made a piece of kitchen paper damp enough that you could use it to wipe a worktop

it completely stopped working after that. I definitely won't be doing that again...
Original post by ANM775
Not dripping wet, but I made a piece of kitchen paper damp enough that you could use it to wipe a worktop

it completely stopped working after that. I definitely won't be doing that again...

If I wanna use a damp cloth, I just add a few drops to the cloth, is that what you do?

have you tried wet wipes? I wonder if those will work

but yeah, a microfibre cloth would be the best option in my opinion, just use it as it is, don't wet it or anything.
Reply 6
I use antibacterial wipes and haven't had a problem
Reply 7
If I wanna use a damp cloth, I just add a few drops to the cloth, is that what you do?

have you tried wet wipes? I wonder if those will work

but yeah, a microfibre cloth would be the best option in my opinion, just use it as it is, don't wet it or anything.

I added a few sprays of dettox to the kitchen paper and then wiped

tbf though it was a crap laptop and developed a major fault just before the 6 month period [when you pick it up in a certain place the laptop would turn straight off[ and also the backlight of the screen started randomly turning off ...so perhaps it was the actual laptop that was at fault,

when i was cleaning it to send it back, it was then that the touchpad stopped working
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
I use antibacterial wipes and haven't had a problem

I think they're a bit dryer dryer than the damp kitchen paper I used when it broke
Original post by ANM775
I added a few sprays of dettox to the kitchen paper and then wiped

tbf though it was a crap laptop and developed a major fault just before the 6 month period [when you pick it up in a certain place the laptop would turn straight off[ and also the backlight of the screen started randomly turning off ...so perhaps it was the actual laptop that was at fault,

when i was cleaning it to send it back, it was then that the touchpad stopped working

hmm, maybe it was just that one laptop.
Reply 10
Original post by ANM775
I think they're a bit dryer dryer than the damp kitchen paper I used when it broke

Yeah, they aren't too damp. Might be worth a go
A bit of Mr Sheen - or equivalent - sprayed onto the palm rest plus a cloth that doesn't shed fibres all over the place. Give it a good rub, but not too much pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending