The Student Room Group

Need help firming a Uni

I am doing management degrees and have got offers from Bristol AAA, Exeter AAA, Nottingham AAB and Loughborough AAB. I like all the unis but not Particularly keen on Loughborough due the small town. I would like to know which unis have the best reputation. I know that Bristol has good Rep but is lower than Than the rest on league tables for management. So which is best for the future and I like the courses at all of them so really can’t decide. Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
id go for Bristol personally, its all opinion like I don't think league tables matter that much. Bristol is also a good size city and not too big and is beautiful. the best reputation unis out of your offers are Exeter and Bristol.
Dont decide yet. Attend visit days in the New Year and decide which one you prefer and firm in April. Dont rely on league tables or reputation. All are roughly equal and the difference between universities is negligeable. Go where you feel you will enjoy best. You have nothing to gain by firming now. Many people firm early then regret it later.
Original post by Jjjer
I am doing management degrees and have got offers from Bristol AAA, Exeter AAA, Nottingham AAB and Loughborough AAB. I like all the unis but not Particularly keen on Loughborough due the small town. I would like to know which unis have the best reputation. I know that Bristol has good Rep but is lower than Than the rest on league tables for management. So which is best for the future and I like the courses at all of them so really can’t decide. Please help

Which course do you prefer? There's no hurry.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot everyone I was just wondering if bristol would give me any disadvantages after graduation as it is lower in the league tables for business and management
Original post by Jjjer
Thanks a lot everyone I was just wondering if bristol would give me any disadvantages after graduation as it is lower in the league tables for business and management

No they wouldnt employers dont look at league tables and Bristol is highly respected. You are looking at the wrong things. You need to look at where suits you best. Attend visit days that is far better for you than worrying about league tables.If you were looking to choose between say 1 and 101 in a league tables then it is useful but the differences between leading universities really is tiny so dont concern yourself over it.
Reply 6
Ok thanks I am leaning towards bristol because love the city and I like the course it was just being 20th on league tables compared to Exeter which is 3rd was putting me off Thanks
Bristol and Exeter are very different. Bristol is an old city university whereas Exeter is a more modern campus university. Exeter has a stunning campus with everything on hand including most of its accommodation whereas Bristol's accommodation is largely off campus and some of it a few miles away. Bristol is a much bigger city than Exeter and offers better nightlife. You need to decide what is important to you but you dont need to make that decision until April. Dont make the mistake of firming now.

Original post by Jjjer
Ok thanks I am leaning towards bristol because love the city and I like the course it was just being 20th on league tables compared to Exeter which is 3rd was putting me off Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Bristol and Exeter are very different. Bristol is an old city university whereas Exeter is a more modern campus university. Exeter has a stunning campus with everything on hand including most of its accommodation whereas Bristol's accommodation is largely off campus and some of it a few miles away. Bristol is a much bigger city than Exeter and offers better nightlife. You need to decide what is important to you but you dont need to make that decision until April. Dont make the mistake of firming now.

Ok thanks very much I prefer the sound of Bristol however was just concerned about that fact that it was lower on league tables for management than the rest of my offers would this effect me in the future?
To be honest subject tables are useless anyway. They are based on very small samples and a few bad reviews by disgruntled students can make a major difference to places in the league tables. Employers wouldnt know which university was highly ranked in any year. They tend to know which universities have good reputations and Bristol, Exeter and Manchester are amongst a group of highly reputed universities.
Original post by Jjjer

Why do you need to decide now? Have you visited them all?
Original post by Jjjer
Ok thanks very much I prefer the sound of Bristol however was just concerned about that fact that it was lower on league tables for management than the rest of my offers would this effect me in the future?

Exeter wins in my view - better uni, nicer place.
Reply 12
To be honest subject tables are useless anyway. They are based on very small samples and a few bad reviews by disgruntled students can make a major difference to places in the league tables. Employers wouldnt know which university was highly ranked in any year. They tend to know which universities have good reputations and Bristol, Exeter and Manchester are amongst a group of highly reputed universities.

Ok thanks very much
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter wins in my view - better uni, nicer place.

Why do you say this
Original post by Jjjer
Why do you say this

Bristol as a place is not to my taste ; too much traffic, too many people - it's over-crowded. Some parts of Bristol are a bit dodgy.

Ezeter has a better rep, great campus, superior choice of halls, lovely town.

YOU need to go and look before you firm.
Reply 15
Ok thanks I thought bristol had a better rep tho
This rep thing means nothing. There is hardly any difference between leading universities. Decide on course contents and surroundings. Do visit days and decide on where you prefer. I agree with Muttley. I think Exeter is nicer than Bristol but others will tell you otherwise.
Reply 17
This rep thing means nothing. There is hardly any difference between leading universities. Decide on course contents and surroundings. Do visit days and decide on where you prefer. I agree with Muttley. I think Exeter is nicer than Bristol but others will tell you otherwise.

Ok thanks I just prefer more lively city and nightlife
Original post by Jjjer
Ok thanks I just prefer more lively city and nightlife

In that case go to Bristol but look at both before you make your decision and ignore league tables and reputation.
Reply 19
In that case go to Bristol but look at both before you make your decision and ignore league tables and reputation.

Ok thanks very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending