The Student Room Group

Blood Test

I've been worrying about my health now for a few months. I won't go into detail but I just had an anxiety attack about it again.

I went for a blood test 8 days ago and I've still not received my results or had any notification of it. Should I chase it up? Can 111 give me any insight since my docs won't be open for a good few hours? Thanks.
Hi there,

Unfortunately, it's unlikely NHS 111 will be able to provide you with the results as you need to prove its actually you. Your best bet is to head into your GP when it opens and ask what is going on. Blood tests usually come back very quickly so they should really have your results by now.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous
I've been worrying about my health now for a few months. I won't go into detail but I just had an anxiety attack about it again.

I went for a blood test 8 days ago and I've still not received my results or had any notification of it. Should I chase it up? Can 111 give me any insight since my docs won't be open for a good few hours? Thanks.

I would definitely contact your GP and see what is going on, like somebody else mentioned. Have you checked any missed voicemails?

If they don't contact you, it usually means your results are normal. If you call the surgery, they will tell you the results over the phone.
either call the drs and they can give results but they're most likely clear if you heard nothing back :smile:
Reply 5

Hi. I hope you've managed to talk to your surgery now, but just in case you haven't or for anybody else wondering the same...
Some blood test results can take a while to come in. Testing the blood takes different amounts of time depending on what it's being tested for. Some results will be back in a few days and some can take a couple of weeks. So it's totally not worth worrying about if your results are taking a while.
There's no harm in calling your surgery to ask though. Sometimes they can take a while to tell you about the results and sometimes they won't call you if the results are normal. They often don't tell people that they'll be doing that though so it's pretty common for people to be confused and want to check.
NHS 111 will not have access to your medical records. They are basically there to direct you to the right type of support of you're having an issue or to give some basic advice. Your blood test results will be sent to wherever did the blood test (and usually your GP too if the test was done somewhere else on the NHS) so your GP surgery is the best place to ask. If the results are normal a receptionist should be able to tell you. If there is anything less than normal or they want to discuss other things with you then they might ask you to wait until a doctor can talk with you. Even then it can be a really simple case of there being an issue with the testing and it needs to be done again or the results are just a tiny bit off and they want to make sure you know that's still okay etc. It's stil nothing to worry about even if the doctor wants to talk to you themselves.

If this test does come back normal you might need to make another appointment with your GP to investigate more things. That will depend on what you discussed with them, but if you didn't discuss any plan and you're still having the symptoms go ahead and make another appointment to be certain.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest