The Student Room Group

Do unis check work experience?

Do unis sit and call the numbers on work experience forms? Because surely they don’t have time to call thousands of applicants work experience locations to double check they actually did work experience at said location?
(edited 4 years ago)
What course are you applying for?
Original post by Torigracex
What course are you applying for?

Veterinary nursing. They are asking for references so I’m wondering if they call up and check all of the references I give
Original post by nicolegrace1207
Veterinary nursing. They are asking for references so I’m wondering if they call up and check all of the references I give

for academic subjects, they will almost certainly never bother to find out if you really did the work experience. however for nursing i don't think anyone here knows conclusively, as i know they do check for medicine.

I’m applying for veterinary medicine at the moment so some unis ask for references. I think they only call them if they doubt the authenticity of your reference or if you’ve typed in the wrong dates or something so the uni wants to check. They don’t ring every single one x
Original post by Torigracex
I’m applying for veterinary medicine at the moment so some unis ask for references. I think they only call them if they doubt the authenticity of your reference or if you’ve typed in the wrong dates or something so the uni wants to check. They don’t ring every single one x

Ahh okay, I was just worried as I needed 70 hours to apply for nursing and I had only done 60 so I slightly lied. I was scared they’d call and find out x
Ahh okay, I was just worried as I needed 70 hours to apply for nursing and I had only done 60 so I slightly lied. I was scared they’d call and find out x

Oooh yikes
(edited 4 years ago)

Where work experience is a requirement universities will verify the number of hours and that the work experience took place.

Lying is incredibly stupid. You should have taken a gap year to get the extra experience and meet the requirements not lied.
You made two threads implying yourself in one and a friend in another....
Original post by Noodlzzz
You made two threads implying yourself in one and a friend in another....

Maybe they both made the same mistake :smile:

To answer the OP's question, "how can they have time to verify work experience for all applicants?". They only verify them for otherwise successful applicants, IE. a hundred or so bods or however many places they have.

So potentially they could get to the point of receiving an offer and then be disqualifed for not meeting the work experience requirement, (and of more concern, lying about it).

If you get to the offer stage, they will verify the hours you've stated on your application with the practices/farms that you say you've done the work experience at.

Guess what will happen when they find out you've lied about it...?
Where work is required to apply they will most certainly call and check. Have fun when your offer is rescinded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending