The Student Room Group

1st year degree with HND in another Subject

Hi There

Hope you're well

I've applied for a few universities to do Psychology, and although one of the Uni's have confirmed they would be happy to accept me as a mature student into 1st year because I have an HND (even though it's in a completely different subject) at an open night, is this normal as I can't find anywhere in the entry requirements section to say this is the case? I should also mention I am in my mid 30s and have years of work experience including being an operations manager

If need be I will do another year at college doing social sciences (currently doing a national certificate level 6) however would rather go to Uni next year as I know I want to eventually be a clinical psychologist so have no interest in the other social science subjects.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by grantus718
Hi There

Hope you're well

I've applied for a few universities to do Psychology, and although one of the Uni's have confirmed they would be happy to accept me as a mature student into 1st year because I have an HND (even though it's in a completely different subject) at an open night, is this normal as I can't find anywhere in the entry requirements section to say this is the case? I should also mention I am in my mid 30s and have years of work experience including being an operations manager

If need be I will do another year at college doing social sciences (currently doing a national certificate level 6) however would rather go to Uni next year as I know I want to eventually be a clinical psychologist so have no interest in the other social science subjects.

Hi :smile:

I'm unsure if that's normal but if they told you this, I'd believe them, although I'd double-check and ask them via email to get written confirmation!
Reply 2
Email each Uni and check - before you apply.
Each uni is different and usually would require more than a HND but they could take your experience into account but you need to get written confirmation before applying otherwise it could be a waste of time applying to those universities which don't accept it.

I studied Psychology coming from an unrelated subject so don't panic on that side! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending