The Student Room Group

ANXIETY-Deferral of one exam

I really need advice on what to do. I have always been a straight A student, achieving a First class in first year doing Biochemistry. But second year started and my anxiety got worse; I stopped going out and isolated myself from people to avoid panic and interaction. My january exams start next week and although I know I can sit 2 of my core module exams, thinking about writing my optional module exam (between the 2) is making me want to throw up. I haven't been eating throughout semster 1 because this new module has given me so much anxiety especially when coming to lectures in a different department.
Yesterday, I went to see the university health service GP and cried out all my feelings and the anxiety issues that I've had throughout uni and that it's affecting my academic performance. They were very understanding and told me to come in for a blood test tomorrow and she'll book another appointment with me AFTER exams to speak about it.

I just cannot bear the thought of taking the opt module exam (Which is a day after my first core exam) but I don't know how to bring this up without sounding weak or an excuse?? Do I speak to my tutor/deparmtental director/GP BEFORE or AFTER I sit that exam??

Please help me with this ASAP, any advice would do :frown:
Original post by clarailamp
I really need advice on what to do. I have always been a straight A student, achieving a First class in first year doing Biochemistry. But second year started and my anxiety got worse; I stopped going out and isolated myself from people to avoid panic and interaction. My january exams start next week and although I know I can sit 2 of my core module exams, thinking about writing my optional module exam (between the 2) is making me want to throw up. I haven't been eating throughout semster 1 because this new module has given me so much anxiety especially when coming to lectures in a different department.
Yesterday, I went to see the university health service GP and cried out all my feelings and the anxiety issues that I've had throughout uni and that it's affecting my academic performance. They were very understanding and told me to come in for a blood test tomorrow and she'll book another appointment with me AFTER exams to speak about it.

I just cannot bear the thought of taking the opt module exam (Which is a day after my first core exam) but I don't know how to bring this up without sounding weak or an excuse?? Do I speak to my tutor/deparmtental director/GP BEFORE or AFTER I sit that exam??

Please help me with this ASAP, any advice would do :frown:

Speak to your PT/Student Support Officer now. Read, or ask them what the special circumstances procedure is. Now is not the time to worry about sounding weak (which you're not, by the way). See what the next steps are - they might be able to provisionally allow you to not turn up to the exam, and then, pending a decision by a committee, award you a null sit i.e. treat the second time you "sit" the exam, as the first time.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Speak to your PT/Student Support Officer now. Read, or ask them what the special circumstances procedure is. Now is not the time to worry about sounding weak (which you're not, by the way). See what the next steps are - they might be able to provisionally allow you to not turn up to the exam, and then, pending a decision by a committee, award you a null sit i.e. treat the second time you "sit" the exam, as the first time.

Thank you so much for your reply. I thought about telling them now but then what if they only postpone the exam a FEW days after next Tuesday (the day I have the 10 credit opt mod exam) instead of much later even though I still don't feel fit to take it. And since the exam is with another department (not bichemistry) it might not be relevant to speak about it with my PT. :confused:
Thank you so much for your reply. I thought about telling them now but then what if they only postpone the exam a FEW days after next Tuesday (the day I have the 10 credit opt mod exam) instead of much later even though I still don't feel fit to take it. And since the exam is with another department (not bichemistry) it might not be relevant to speak about it with my PT. :confused:

It's likely they will ask you to sit the exam in the summer resit diet, if your university has this, and not a few days after.

Your PT is your first point of contact for any academic issues - it shouldn't matter which department it is run by.
Reply 4
It's likely they will ask you to sit the exam in the summer resit diet, if your university has this, and not a few days after.

Your PT is your first point of contact for any academic issues - it shouldn't matter which department it is run by.

Thank you that makes sense. Although I'm afraid that they will ask why I'm able to take the core exams and not this one opt mod exam as if I haven't studied but I took this module because I was generally interested in it but uni and my anxiety made me dread the exam.
Thank you that makes sense. Although I'm afraid that they will ask why I'm able to take the core exams and not this one opt mod exam as if I haven't studied but I took this module because I was generally interested in it but uni and my anxiety made me dread the exam.

There is no need to worry - just tell them what you've told us, you won't be the first student who has opted to sit certain exams and not others for whatever reason. It's normal to only want to focus on a particular exam when you have special circumstances, in order to secure the best possible marks.
Reply 6
There is no need to worry - just tell them what you've told us, you won't be the first student who has opted to sit certain exams and not others for whatever reason. It's normal to only want to focus on a particular exam when you have special circumstances, in order to secure the best possible marks.

Okay thank you again. I've been silent for too long and tried to stick out first year and managed and know I can do well in my degree but my mental health just seemed to take a toll recently. I'm at the University of Sheffield and thinking alot about what other people think of me has stopped me from reaching out for help so when i do im scared of getting rejected for example when asking to defer an exam with medical evidence. I hope they will understand my circumstance.
Okay thank you again. I've been silent for too long and tried to stick out first year and managed and know I can do well in my degree but my mental health just seemed to take a toll recently. I'm at the University of Sheffield and thinking alot about what other people think of me has stopped me from reaching out for help so when i do im scared of getting rejected for example when asking to defer an exam with medical evidence. I hope they will understand my circumstance.

I doubt you'll be rejected.

Either way, look at it like this - when you speak to your PT and Student Support, they will know you've been suffering from MH problems. They can then signpost you to people/services at the university who can help you with your problems.

Good luck.
Reply 8
I doubt you'll be rejected.

Either way, look at it like this - when you speak to your PT and Student Support, they will know you've been suffering from MH problems. They can then signpost you to people/services at the university who can help you with your problems.

Good luck.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm so thankful for your replies and helping me with this situation from a year ago. I'm in a much better place now and I know that you were part of the reason why. Thank you for taking time out of your day to make a difference in my life! I really mean it. Hope all is well and that you're keeping safe during these tough times.
I just wanted to let you know that I'm so thankful for your replies and helping me with this situation from a year ago. I'm in a much better place now and I know that you were part of the reason why. Thank you for taking time out of your day to make a difference in my life! I really mean it. Hope all is well and that you're keeping safe during these tough times.

Now this is when I like to see a thread get bumped!

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing better. Hope you're coping well too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending