The Student Room Group

Rowing- Swollen fingers and open blisters.

So I’m always prone to getting blisters, and them often popping/bleeding. However my middle finger has now got progressively swollen and struggling to bend it etc?? Lol I’m slightly panicking, anybody have any clue what’s happening and how I can reduce swelling as I am training in the am.
Original post by study_buddy
So I’m always prone to getting blisters, and them often popping/bleeding. However my middle finger has now got progressively swollen and struggling to bend it etc?? Lol I’m slightly panicking, anybody have any clue what’s happening and how I can reduce swelling as I am training in the am.

Hiya, I used to get really terrible blisters as well, especially when switching between sweep and sculling. Blister plasters and tape are lifesavers for me. I still get them but my hands are a bit tougher now so less so. From how you described it I’d say it’s probably most likely just swelling, but it could be an infection. I’m not an expert tho so check with your coach/ the gp in case cause if it is infected then u need to get it looked at asap.
Also I know it’s tempting but don’t pop them!!!! For the time being maybe try an antiseptic cream?
You're not going to get an answer, could be practically anything from bruising to tendonitis to a broken finger. You need to see a doctor
Reply 4
Original post by Mayataylor
Hiya, I used to get really terrible blisters as well, especially when switching between sweep and sculling. Blister plasters and tape are lifesavers for me. I still get them but my hands are a bit tougher now so less so. From how you described it I’d say it’s probably most likely just swelling, but it could be an infection. I’m not an expert tho so check with your coach/ the gp in case cause if it is infected then u need to get it looked at asap.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!!

i do use tape, but probably not as much as I should 😅 I don’t think it’s infected as the open blister isn’t like gunky or anything if that makes sense. It’s just very swollen, but I’ve been training/racing this past weekend, so it’s possible it’s just from that.

I shall see how it is tomorrow and will go to the doctors if the swelling hasn’t gone down.

Quick Reply

Latest