The Student Room Group

Ended up accidentally applying late. What’s the worse that can happen?

Test

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who is applying to university after a long period of mental health difficulties and part time jobs so I’m not the ‘typical’ university candidate.

Essentially what happened was that I didn’t hit completed application on my choices and I then went on to references and clicked save. I thought my reference would receive the email when I clicked save but unfortunately you receive it when you clicked send reference not save. I only realised this on the 15th of January and she didn’t receive the UCAS reference email before 18:00pm.

I then thought she would just send it off later but it took me a week to resend the email to her by clicking on resend email. It must have got lost in her spam folder or something.

Anyway I got it sent off on Tuesday the 22nd. I’ve applied for mainly film/media courses and a lot of them are very competitive, so could I be rejected because of my screw up?
@PQ and @nexttime might be able to help
im interested how come film/media is really competitive? i never really thought it would be that competitive.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who is applying to university after a long period of mental health difficulties and part time jobs so I’m not the ‘typical’ university candidate.

Essentially what happened was that I didn’t hit completed application on my choices and I then went on to references and clicked save. I thought my reference would receive the email when I clicked save but unfortunately you receive it when you clicked send reference not save. I only realised this on the 15th of January and she didn’t receive the UCAS reference email before 18:00pm.

I then thought she would just send it off later but it took me a week to resend the email to her by clicking on resend email. It must have got lost in her spam folder or something.

Anyway I got it sent off on Tuesday the 22nd. I’ve applied for mainly film/media courses and a lot of them are very competitive, so could I be rejected because of my screw up?

Where have you applied?

You've missed the deadline for equal consideration, but universities will still consider your application if they have spaces available so depending on this all is not lost :smile:
Original post by fcwafwafw
im interested how come film/media is really competitive? i never really thought it would be that competitive.

Film Production courses are!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Where have you applied?

You've missed the deadline for equal consideration, but universities will still consider your application if they have spaces available so depending on this all is not lost :smile:

Editing and Post Production at Solent
Media Production at Bournemouth
Film Production at the Arts University Bournemouth
Film Production at UCA Farnham

The second two I am most concerned about rejecting me.
As Puddles says. Most likely it would be ok.

Nothing you can do now - just wait and see.
well, the worst that can happen is you dont get offers - then you could apply through clearing

You won't get equal consideration, but they may still consider you. It's really impossible to say, given we don't know how many offers have been given so far at each institution, and if they have spaces waiting to be filled.
Hi everyone.

So,
To answer the question whats the worst that could happen: every uni could be overfilled with overqualified applicants and hence all reject you as they ran out of places. (THIS WONT HAPPEN!!!)

What is most likely to happen is your application will just join the pack of other applications, I think it will be fine. Its often quite common for some Unis to still advertise for students too apply to them post-UCAS deadline now. Unis just arent bound by regulation to give you equal treatment
Original post by mnot
So,
To answer the question whats the worst that could happen: every uni could be overfilled with overqualified applicants and hence all reject you as they ran out of places. (THIS WONT HAPPEN!!!)

What is most likely to happen is your application will just join the pack of other applications, I think it will be fine. Its often quite common for some Unis to still advertise for students too apply to them post-UCAS deadline now. Unis just arent bound by regulation to give you equal treatment

Thanks mate.

What worries me is that AUB does not go into clearing so I could lose a place because of my late application. I’m not in a position to apply again because of me being a mature student
Thanks mate.

What worries me is that AUB does not go into clearing so I could lose a place because of my late application. I’m not in a position to apply again because of me being a mature student

Well you are where you are now, im sure it will be fine. As I say unis just want the best applicants, and that is one application.

Good luck!
Hi everyone.

1. You cant change it.
2. As puddles said you miss the equal consideration part.
3. In reality it will make little difference as it only tends to matter if your course is really competitive. I wouldnt rank your uni choices as being in that range.
4. You can ring admissions up and check and some of them might just say no difference for reassurance.
5. I would be most concerned about your MH issues and making sure they are full under control before you start. That bit really worries me as a potential issue with your application and uni progress.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You cant change it.
2. As puddles said you miss the equal consideration part.
3. In reality it will make little difference as it only tends to matter if your course is really competitive. I wouldnt rank your uni choices as being in that range.
4. You can ring admissions up and check and some of them might just say no difference for reassurance.
5. I would be most concerned about your MH issues and making sure they are full under control before you start. That bit really worries me as a potential issue with your application and uni progress.

AUB is competitive as they don’t go into clearing.

@Solent University @Bournemouth UniversityAre you able to give some more information about late applications for these courses? :smile:
AUB is competitive as they don’t go into clearing.

Dunno, cant recall last years clearing. That still doesnt mean competitive though.
You also cant change it.
If I were in that situation I wouldnt be worried, this year next year its not much different.
If my application was good I would check with admissions, but id still be expecting to get in.
Thanks mate.

It's impossible for us to say with any certainty. You could always try giving their admissions a ring and see what they say - that way you'll have more of an idea of where you stand and can plan accordingly.

Fingers crossed for you :crossedf:

Solent, Bournemouth and UCA all had their film courses in clearing this year. They’re likely to be ok but you can always ring and explain the situation and ask if they can make an exception if they do intend on closing the course.

AUB normally closes film on the deadline. I would recommend that you ring them first thing Monday and ask to speak to someone senior to explain the problems you had with your reference getting sorted out. They might be willing to make an exception (but even if they do there’s only around a 1 in 4 offer rate for film at AUB so you may still be unlucky even if they do consider your application). The benefit of small universities is that there’s a good chance that they’ll be willing to take circumstances into account.

do you have your showreel/portfolio ready to send off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending