The Student Room Group

Data Science, York or university of London

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or know of someone who is doing this MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics offered by the University of York and its roughly just over £7800 for the entire course. It's a 2 year part-time MSc as I have got 2 offers from the University of London for Data Science and York University as well. I'm really interested in hearing opinions other than the recruiters about the MSc for obvious reasons, and any input would be very much appreciated!

Just a little information, I'm considering studying it because currently, I don't enjoy my current career and hope to switch to an alternate career. I can say that coding has been a passion my mind now and stimulating thus far to study through part-time online courses, but looking at some of the jobs available for data science, etc, they do prefer a degree in Computer Science or Data Science although I have noticed this isn't always needed. I guess I'm more interested in the MSc for the sake of completeness in that I hope to have a good foundation in coding. Although I'm unsure as to whether all the MSc's I've seen will provide the same quality, and if some are better than others. I am not sure to choose which universities and courses (computer science with data analytics or data science at the University of London).

many thanks
Original post by sara shahin
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or know of someone who is doing this MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics offered by the University of York and its roughly just over £7800 for the entire course. It's a 2 year part-time MSc as I have got 2 offers from the University of London for Data Science and York University as well. I'm really interested in hearing opinions other than the recruiters about the MSc for obvious reasons, and any input would be very much appreciated!

Just a little information, I'm considering studying it because currently, I don't enjoy my current career and hope to switch to an alternate career. I can say that coding has been a passion my mind now and stimulating thus far to study through part-time online courses, but looking at some of the jobs available for data science, etc, they do prefer a degree in Computer Science or Data Science although I have noticed this isn't always needed. I guess I'm more interested in the MSc for the sake of completeness in that I hope to have a good foundation in coding. Although I'm unsure as to whether all the MSc's I've seen will provide the same quality, and if some are better than others. I am not sure to choose which universities and courses (computer science with data analytics or data science at the University of London).

many thanks

Hi! I'm currently on my 4th module of the program. Overall I think it is very good for a conversion MSc. There are some deficits (not enough practical coding), however I think that it will teach you enough to know what work you will need to do on your own.

The UofL program is 3 years FT so there is no question it would be more thorough. It is also 2X the cost. I've actually completed 2/3s of a law degree through UofL. That has been an utterly miserable experience. Now, there is no reason to think the same would be true of the BSc in CS they offer, but I would at least try to get input from current students before entering that program.

If London's CS program had existed a few years back, I would likely have applied to it. I would say that such a program would unquestionably look like a better option for someone without a prior uni degree, but that if you already have one, then a conversion MSc is a very attractive option. I have some criticisms of York's MSc, but on balance I am very happy I chose to enrol.
Reply 2
Hi tj_nova,Thank you for the replying. From my understanding, you are on module 4 computer Science with data at the York university. could please explain to me more about the core modules and optional modules and what programme language packages will you be learned also, how many modules you could take for every term base on as part time student. one more question, have you chosen the project subject so far? I really appreciate it.sara
Original post by sara shahin
Hi tj_nova,Thank you for the replying. From my understanding, you are on module 4 computer Science with data at the York university. could please explain to me more about the core modules and optional modules and what programme language packages will you be learned also, how many modules you could take for every term base on as part time student. one more question, have you chosen the project subject so far? I really appreciate it.sara

So the only real 'options' you have are the ones based on which stream you apply to. I'm in the Data Analytics track, so my options are Big Data Analytics and Data Mining / Text Analysis. Someone in the Cyber Security stream would have 2 others ones instead of these. Otherwise all the courses are the same for everyone in the MSc. Over the entire program I think I'll end up learning some Java, Python and R. You're only allowed to be in one module at a time, and each module lasts roughly 2 months, so it's different from the normal 'term' system most students are accustomed to. I'm not even close to choosing my project subject yet, that's the last thing you do in the program after the coursework, and actually one of the courses is "Research Project Proposal", so for me this will probably happen in early 2021.
Hello everyone, I have a BSc in Psychology and looking to change career into data analytics/health data research. Can anyone recommend a good conversion postgraduate course into Data/Computer Science? Because of the required time and financial investment, I would like to focus in gaining professional, hard-on skills which I can use to obtain a graduate/entry position in data analytics following the course. I have a good grasp of basic statistics for the social/brain sciences but no experience in programming/machine learning. Looking at jobs, I noticed that quite often applicants` basic requirements include a good working knowledge of data extrapolation, cleaning, preparation, SQL and a programming language, such as R or Phyton. Which MSc would give me a good, practical solid foundation into computing, data science? Does anybody have experience with the MSc in Data Science by Goldsmiths/University of London, which can be completed either on campus or via distance learning? Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by *tj_nova*
So the only real 'options' you have are the ones based on which stream you apply to. I'm in the Data Analytics track, so my options are Big Data Analytics and Data Mining / Text Analysis. Someone in the Cyber Security stream would have 2 others ones instead of these. Otherwise all the courses are the same for everyone in the MSc. Over the entire program I think I'll end up learning some Java, Python and R. You're only allowed to be in one module at a time, and each module lasts roughly 2 months, so it's different from the normal 'term' system most students are accustomed to. I'm not even close to choosing my project subject yet, that's the last thing you do in the program after the coursework, and actually one of the courses is "Research Project Proposal", so for me this will probably happen in early 2021.

Hey! how is your progress for Computer Science with Data Analytics in York? i am thinking of enrolling it. let me talk about my background: i get a degree in Management Science, recently have enough learning from c , python and r. Want to get a master with brand name in job market. Not sure how great or bad that online program is.
Original post by fungt
Hey! how is your progress for Computer Science with Data Analytics in York? i am thinking of enrolling it. let me talk about my background: i get a degree in Management Science, recently have enough learning from c , python and r. Want to get a master with brand name in job market. Not sure how great or bad that online program is.

chance of response: 0.01%
Original post by fungt

Hi, sorry for the late reply as I don't log in here often anymore. The program at York was atrocious and I dropped it around this time last year, along with many other students. There was a formal complaint to the uni with 50+ signatories, which they didn't even have the decency to respond to.

I advise against applying to this program in the strongest terms possible. It doesn't even teach what would be considered basic industry standard practices / techniques, and will not prepare you for any job in the industry. You would be far better off following Data Science pathways on Coursera, or finding another more established MSc elsewhere.
I got offer from york university for MSc data science, I don't understand what I do , can anyone give me any suggestion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending