The Student Room Group

My University life is making me miserable

I hate my life at university. I have loads of accquitances but very few friends. A lot of the days I don't have anything to do and on weekends I never have plans. Literally haven't had anything to do on a weekend since I got to university.

I have very little social life and everyone in my friends group doesn't want to go out. They ask to hang out and they cancel on their own plans.

I've tried to make plans and we've gone out a couple times but this nowhere near the full university experience that I see everyone else enjoy and want for myself.

The most important thing about university is the networking. Meeting employers and friends for life. Sure you get a degree but you can get a degree online and learn skills online too. But university is about networking (imo). I can't do that here.

I live in a private hall and find it hard to meet people since many people are Chinese so they don't speak good English and don't speak to people that aren't Chinese.

You only get one first year, like you only get one prom or one life. From what postgrads and upper classmen have told me you're supposed to enjoy your first year. And I agree. Second and third year are way too hard to enjoy as much as your first.

I had to get a mitigating circumstances to postpone exams in January and I am still behind on the programming module. I keep giving myself hope every week and by the next week I completely hate my life.

Should I withdraw or stick it out being miserable or stick it out and wait to meet some more interesting people?
Original post by Anonymous
I hate my life at university. I have loads of accquitances but very few friends. A lot of the days I don't have anything to do and on weekends I never have plans. Literally haven't had anything to do on a weekend since I got to university.

I have very little social life and everyone in my friends group doesn't want to go out. They ask to hang out and they cancel on their own plans.

I've tried to make plans and we've gone out a couple times but this nowhere near the full university experience that I see everyone else enjoy and want for myself.

The most important thing about university is the networking. Meeting employers and friends for life. Sure you get a degree but you can get a degree online and learn skills online too. But university is about networking (imo). I can't do that here.

I live in a private hall and find it hard to meet people since many people are Chinese so they don't speak good English and don't speak to people that aren't Chinese.

You only get one first year, like you only get one prom or one life. From what postgrads and upper classmen have told me you're supposed to enjoy your first year. And I agree. Second and third year are way too hard to enjoy as much as your first.

I had to get a mitigating circumstances to postpone exams in January and I am still behind on the programming module. I keep giving myself hope every week and by the next week I completely hate my life.

Should I withdraw or stick it out being miserable or stick it out and wait to meet some more interesting people?

Join societies/clubs/extra curricular stuff?

First year I had no friends in my hall and no friends on my course. It sucked. But I kept putting myself outthere and I did eventually find people. You won't find anyone if you stay in the same place. You have to put yourself out there and try stuff on your own!
I wouldn't leave over it, it's not worth the money or time. Unkess you hate your course? You have 2 more years left, you still have free time in these years to do networking
Reply 2
Original post by Johnny Tightlips

First year I had no friends in my hall and no friends on my course. It sucked. But I kept putting myself outthere and I did eventually find people. You won't find anyone if you stay in the same place. You have to put yourself out there and try stuff on your own!
I wouldn't leave over it, it's not worth the money or time. Unkess you hate your course? You have 2 more years left, you still have free time in these years to do networking

I want to join them but they barely hold any events. Like reasonable socities (I can't join Russian or Japanese since I'm not either). But what I can do if they don't hold events? I was thinking of just going to the universities next door but I don't know if I'll be allowed to??? (UCL, LSE, etc)
I want to join them but they barely hold any events. Like reasonable socities (I can't join Russian or Japanese since I'm not either). But what I can do if they don't hold events? I was thinking of just going to the universities next door but I don't know if I'll be allowed to??? (UCL, LSE, etc)

Wait where are you at?
Reply 4
Wait where are you at?

King's College
Reply 5

Japanese society at my uni is half white. But I guess if yours have nothing going on it doesn't really matter :/
Reply 6
Original post by Sataris
Japanese society at my uni is half white. But I guess if yours have nothing going on it doesn't really matter :/

Probs into Japanese culture. At London unis it's a bit bigger populous to have a lot of white people.
Reply 7
As a Chinese, I say most Chinese students are willing to make friends with other countries. By the way, are you boy or girl? Which year of university are you in?

Did you find your people by joining societies? And how long did it take( at what point in the year)?
Reply 9
Original post by shebk
As a Chinese, I say most Chinese students are willing to make friends with other countries. By the way, are you boy or girl? Which year of university are you in?

First
Hi, are you a boy or girl
Heya,

I'd say stick it out you've worked hard to get into uni, so finish it! Maybe you should join a society that is totally out of your comfort zone.

Good Luck !!
Hi, are you a boy or girl

Boy

Hey, I go LSE and they won’t check which uni you’re from at societies. You can usually see what events they have going on from the society’s individual facebook pages and sometimes on their instagram pages. Personally I found it difficult to make friends at societies. I haven’t been myself, but there’s a travelling and backpacking society which organises trips and I imagine that people that go to a travelling society will also be the type of people that want to make a diverse range of friendships. Maybe kings has something like that? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what course do you do and what are your course mates like?
First year is always rough. You'll find people eventually.
Your social life is as good as you make it. Go force yourself to meet new people, try new activities and go to new places and you will have more fun.
(Coming from someone who had no friends in Sixth Form but had the best time of his life at Uni)
Hey, I go LSE and they won’t check which uni you’re from at societies. You can usually see what events they have going on from the society’s individual facebook pages and sometimes on their instagram pages. Personally I found it difficult to make friends at societies. I haven’t been myself, but there’s a travelling and backpacking society which organises trips and I imagine that people that go to a travelling society will also be the type of people that want to make a diverse range of friendships. Maybe kings has something like that? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what course do you do and what are your course mates like?

Computer Science and quite anti-social//make me cringe a little too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending