The Student Room Group

Higher French 2019-2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SchuylerSister22
I thought it was really good :smile:

Oh that’s so good to hear, some of the people in my class (there’s only 6 of us lol) thought it was really hard which made me question how well I has actually done and if I was just delusional😂 I actually finished the reading/writing element about 50 mins early, but the examiner wouldn’t let us leave early so I had to sit there for ages!
Original post by Mollyanne2003
Oh that’s so good to hear, some of the people in my class (there’s only 6 of us lol) thought it was really hard which made me question how well I has actually done and if I was just delusional😂 I actually finished the reading/writing element about 50 mins early, but the examiner wouldn’t let us leave early so I had to sit there for ages!

I thought my class was small!! We have 15 😂 One person kept on going on about how easy the listening was but I thought it was a bit hard, also I'm not very good at listening. For reading and writing I left 15 minutes early because there was only another 2 people left and everyone kept leaving so I felt pressure to go too 😂
Original post by Katyyferrierr
I done higher last year and got an A so If anyone needs any tips just ask

tips about the writing assignment, please!!!! I've got the first draft next week. How did you study for it, what topic did you pick and how to answer the question well
I thought my class was small!! We have 15 😂 One person kept on going on about how easy the listening was but I thought it was a bit hard, also I'm not very good at listening. For reading and writing I left 15 minutes early because there was only another 2 people left and everyone kept leaving so I felt pressure to go too 😂

hahaha yeah I only have 8 people in my class, at the beginning of the year we had 15 but they dropped out
Original post by kawaii_panda101
hahaha yeah I only have 8 people in my class, at the beginning of the year we had 15 but they dropped out

Want to send me the first draft to proofread? :smile:
How did you guys do in the prelim?
How did you guys do in the prelim?

Somehow managed 91%!
Somehow managed 91%!

Well done!!
Somehow managed 91%!

Good job! Hopefully you can get higher in the final exam.
tips about the writing assignment, please!!!! I've got the first draft next week. How did you study for it, what topic did you pick and how to answer the question well

I used some of the same questions from my speaking and adapted them into an essay, the topic I done was just family and friends to keep it easy, the best way to get marks in it is to use a variety of grammar if possible such as the subjunctive mood as it shows that you have a good understanding of the language and makes it more complex
I used some of the same questions from my speaking and adapted them into an essay, the topic I done was just family and friends to keep it easy, the best way to get marks in it is to use a variety of grammar if possible such as the subjunctive mood as it shows that you have a good understanding of the language and makes it more complex

Totally agree with this - I had my first draft today and wrote about how studying abroad is the best way to learn a language. Chose something you’re passionate on, bullet point in English what you want to write, then try and fit in some present, future, conditional and past (I did past by using a made up example of a friend going to Mexico to learn Spanish, and used the conditional for hypothetical situations like you would learn more etc) remember your conclusion as it is the last chance to impress!!
Hi guys,
I'm not doing higher GCSE French this year, but I was wondering if anyone had any good paragraphs/ sentences/ notes in french that you could send me? Thanks x
Any tips about speaking - it’s what I feel will be my weakness this year, even though I managed full marks at N5. Also any shows/podcasts or further learning you did that helped? I love the actual language and find learning it fun, so am kinda looking for ways to incorporate it into everyday!

What are your tips for studying french would you say - like how do you like to learn it? X
yes, same here. any tips are really helpful! thanks!
Original post by Quick-use
Want to send me the first draft to proofread? :smile:

Hey that would be so helpful although, we don't know the writing stimulus yet and I am just learning phrases for everything in the society context pretty much. But thank you!
Somehow managed 91%!

Wow that's incredible! Well done!

Aww that is such a good idea, and I'll keep grammar in mind thank you!
Are the writing stimulus created by your school or does everyone do the same (SQA create it?), if so anyone who has done the writing assignment, what questions came up for the topic of health?
Are the writing stimulus created by your school or does everyone do the same (SQA create it?), if so anyone who has done the writing assignment, what questions came up for the topic of health?

We were given three heading sentences to chose from, going abroad is the best way to learn a language, should PE by compulsory all through school, why social media is essential in society, or we could chose anything else. Essentially it has to fit into one of the 4 topics which I think are learning, employability, culture and possibly society?
What are your tips for studying french would you say - like how do you like to learn it? X

I really like duolingo personally - I find it gave me a grasp on all of the basics like tense etc. I’m an active learner, so quizzes and flashcards are something I find fun, I also have been watching shows in French (nailed it in French is great, it’s a baking show on Netflix) and for writing, I honestly just try and write it as many times as I can in a week, maybe once every night so it gets into my head - try different scenarios and have essential sentences you know you can slot in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending