The Student Room Group

How does astrology work? *personal reasons/opinions encouraged*

If you believe in it obviously, i want to know what makes the position of the sun moon planets etc when a person was born influence their personality?? i find it really difficult to believe but a lot of my friends are into it and it kind of does my head in when they talk about it cause i just can’t get my brain around the logic of it however i want to be respectful of everyone’s beliefs and see their side not be one of those people that tries to “expose” or “debunk” pseudosciences and spiritual beliefs to be fake (bc i don’t believe in healing crystals/herbs or anything like that either) . When i ask them why they believe it in they say they “just do” which isn’t very helpful to me, I just want someone to explain the logic of believing in it to me the same way you normally would to someone who doesn’t get it

Scroll to see replies

Don’t believe in it at all
Reply 2
neither do i but i want to hear from people who do so o can see their point of view hahaha
hmmm i'm guessing you are an Earth Sign... very grounded and practical, not given to believing things without evidence. Capricorn, Virgo and Taurus all belong to the Earth sign crew....
It doesn't. /thread

EDIT: Actually nah, let's not /thread, let's let them post nonsense so people can see it's nonsense.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by the bear
hmmm i'm guessing you are an Earth Sign... very grounded and practical, not given to believing things without evidence. Capricorn, Virgo and Taurus all belong to the Earth sign crew....

If you're suggesting that the other nine signs, 3/4 of people on the planet, ARE given to believing things without evidence, then that's actually kind of depressing and concerning.
Original post by sienna0305
If you believe in it obviously, i want to know what makes the position of the sun moon planets etc when a person was born influence their personality?? i find it really difficult to believe but a lot of my friends are into it and it kind of does my head in when they talk about it cause i just can’t get my brain around the logic of it however i want to be respectful of everyone’s beliefs and see their side not be one of those people that tries to “expose” or “debunk” pseudosciences and spiritual beliefs to be fake (bc i don’t believe in healing crystals/herbs or anything like that either) . When i ask them why they believe it in they say they “just do” which isn’t very helpful to me, I just want someone to explain the logic of believing in it to me the same way you normally would to someone who doesn’t get it

The same reason why people become religious etc. It fundamentally stems from insecurity: they can't cope with the idea that they are nothing and the universe doesn't care about them, so they view the universe as something that exists around them. They like to think they have some control over what they do.
Reply 7
It’s done in a way that you could normally easily look at any star sign and go “yeah that’s me”. Those who come in with a bias, expecting their star sign to be accurate, will try (whether consciously or not) to only see their star sign as being true to themselves, when in actual fact I’m sure you will realise there are plenty of people who share your star sign who have very little in common with you.

I find it rather like “flat earth” but I suppose it’s not quite as bad. It’s more like organised religion to an extent.
(edited 4 years ago)
many people on TSR have found solace and inspiration from my humble astrology blog ?

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4809320

quite a few posters started off thinking it was a massive piss-take; they came to realise that the Stars were actually trying to help them through my writings ?
Reply 9
i’m a fire sign sorry

i’m a fire sign
Original post by Em.-.
It’s done in a way that you could normally easily look at any star sign and go “yeah that’s me”. Those who come in with a bias, expecting their star sign to be accurate, will try (whether consciously or not) to only see their star sign as being true to themselves, when in actual fact I’m sure you will realise there are plenty of people who share your star sign who have very little in common with you.

I find it rather like “flat earth” but I suppose it’s not quite as bad. It’s more like organised religion to an extent.

that makes sense i guess, i can see why someone who fits the description of a pisces and was born in the pisces dates would have more reason to believe it in, i don’t act like my star sign either haha
many people on TSR have found solace and inspiration from my humble astrology blog ?

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4809320

quite a few posters started off thinking it was a massive piss-take; they came to realise that the Stars were actually trying to help them through my writings ?

still not really an answer to my question but obviously i am trying to be very open minded about it so i will take a look thanks
It's not being disrespectful to acknowledge a delusion as delusional. You don't have to be rude, but that is genuinely all astrology is, people only believe that it works because of confirmation bias. Predictions are intentionally vague such that any normal person would experience something that could be regarded as fulfilling that prediction. When predictions are less apt then they are forgotten, and when by random chance they happen to be particularly accurate, they're taken as convincing evidence that it must work. But the reality is that it's just an exploit of human thought errors.
Original post by Plagioclase
It's not being disrespectful to acknowledge a delusion as delusional. You don't have to be rude, but that is genuinely all astrology is, people only believe that it works because of confirmation bias. Predictions are intentionally vague such that any normal person would experience something that could be regarded as fulfilling that prediction. When predictions are less apt then they are forgotten, and when by random chance they happen to be particularly accurate, they're taken as convincing evidence that it must work. But the reality is that it's just an exploit of human thought errors.

this is a perfect explanation for the daily or weekly horoscopes you get based on ur star sign however as i have learnt from my friends you actually have a whole birth chart that has signs for all the planets/moon etc based on what time and where you are born and also things called steliums and houses which i don’t really understand. All the movements of the planets at all times are meant to affect you and they’ll say stuff like “oh you might be having a stressful week because venus is in retrograde and you have an aquarius moon” to me which is totally mad to me and why i want a reply from those who do believe in astrology themselves
Original post by sienna0305
this is a perfect explanation for the daily or weekly horoscopes you get based on ur star sign however as i have learnt from my friends you actually have a whole birth chart that has signs for all the planets/moon etc based on what time and where you are born and also things called steliums and houses which i don’t really understand. All the movements of the planets at all times are meant to affect you and they’ll say stuff like “oh you might be having a stressful week because venus is in retrograde and you have an aquarius moon” to me which is totally mad to me and why i want a reply from those who do believe in astrology themselves

clearly as a provider of horoscopes for ordinary people with busy lives, i have to skip a lot of the technical detail. by focussing on the stars' personal messages to my readers i am helping them in the best way possible. of course my prognostications are backed by detailed research and years of astrological study under the greatest Masters of the Art.
Look into 'Barnham effect'
It can’t be true because often people of the same star sign will have completely different personalities. It’s no mystery that most of your personality is formed from your environment and upbringing, nothing to do with the stars and sun.
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
The same reason why people become religious etc. It fundamentally stems from insecurity: they can't cope with the idea that they are nothing and the universe doesn't care about them, so they view the universe as something that exists around them. They like to think they have some control over what they do.

I don't think religion and astrology are comparable at all but that's for another thread :biggrin:
clearly as a provider of horoscopes for ordinary people with busy lives, i have to skip a lot of the technical detail. by focussing on the stars' personal messages to my readers i am helping them in the best way possible. of course my prognostications are backed by detailed research and years of astrological study under the greatest Masters of the Art.

i don’t really care about years of study i just want to know the logic behind HOW and WHY ur signs influence ur personality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending