The Student Room Group

Arab and Muslims ?

Sorry this might sound ignorant thus question. What’s the difference between a Muslim and a Arab? I know both of them follow Islam but like why are there two different groups Muslims and Arabs if they follow the same religion, is there something I’m oblivious to ? Please answer if you know Btw I love both I’m not bashing or being racist or rude in any way, shape or form I’m just confused, also are both ethnicities right? Sorry I’m a bit stupid since nobody else talks about it
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry this might sound ignorant thus question. What’s the difference between a Muslim and a Arab? I know both of them follow Islam but like why are there two different groups Muslims and Arabs if they follow the same religion, is there something I’m oblivious to ? Please answer if you know Btw I love both I’m not bashing or being racist or rude in any way, shape or form I’m just confused, also are both ethnicities right? Sorry I’m a bit stupid since nobody else talks about it

"Arab" isn't a religion, it's an ethnicity :smile: An Arab can be Christian, Jew, etc; it doesn't have ties to religion. Sort of how there Irish people who follow Christianity; but an Irishman doesn't necessarily have to be Christian to be Irish, if that makes sense.
A Muslim is a person who follows Islam, like how Christians follow Christianity.

Arabs are a race of people across the Middle East and North Africa.

Muslims are followers of the religion of Islam

An arab can be a different religion to muslim.
A muslim can be a non-arab.
Reply 3

In simple terms...
"Arab" = person whose close ancestry is from the Middle East (Arabia). It is an inherited ethnicity like Hispanic or Asian.
"Muslim" = a person who follows the religion of Islam. Muslims can be any ethnicity, colour or nationality. It is an ideological choice like Christianity or Fascism.
Original post by fatima.zahra
"Arab" isn't a religion, it's an ethnicity :smile: An Arab can be Christian, Jew, etc; it doesn't have ties to religion. Sort of how there Irish people who follow Christianity; but an Irishman doesn't necessarily have to be Christian to be Irish, if that makes sense.
A Muslim is a person who follows Islam, like how Christians follow Christianity.

Met a few Christians from that part of the world who are uneasy about being called an Arab, due its associations with Islam, so preferred to identify with the country and their religion, but also have seen the reverse, matter of personal preference as what to identify as i guess...
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Met a few Christians from that part of the world who are uneasy about being called an Arab, due its associations with Islam, so preferred to identify with the country and their religion, but also have seen the reverse, matter of personal preference as what to identify as i guess...

Yeah definitely, but in and of itself, being Arab has nothing to do with being Muslim.
Arab girl are so fit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending