The Student Room Group

To see my GP about spots on hand or not?

About a week ago I noticed a red dot on the palm of my hand and thought nothing of it. The next day I noticed another small dot maybe 1cm below it. Fast forward a few days and both of these spots have turned into larger paler, brownish/yellow spots (colour varies depending on if my hands are hot, cold etc.) with a small brown region in the middle of them. They are quite round but the first spot has a smaller circle kinda coming off it. They look flat but if you run your finger over them you can tell there are bumps there and the skin feels a bit rougher.

I have (obviously) been keeping an eye on them and they seem to have stopped changing now. I'm wondering if I should go to my GP next week and have them seen two if they haven't gone away yet. In the past I have had similar lumps appear on my wrists and went to the GP about them and they said it was just warts or cysts (can't remember) and they eventually went away. This is the first time I've had this on my hand so I'm wondering if I should just wait or it's worth making an appointment?

Thanks guys :smile:
There’s no harm in making an appointment - if there’s nothing wrong then all well and good but it’s worth checking just in case!
Original post by Anonymous
About a week ago I noticed a red dot on the palm of my hand and thought nothing of it. The next day I noticed another small dot maybe 1cm below it. Fast forward a few days and both of these spots have turned into larger paler, brownish/yellow spots (colour varies depending on if my hands are hot, cold etc.) with a small brown region in the middle of them. They are quite round but the first spot has a smaller circle kinda coming off it. They look flat but if you run your finger over them you can tell there are bumps there and the skin feels a bit rougher.

I have (obviously) been keeping an eye on them and they seem to have stopped changing now. I'm wondering if I should go to my GP next week and have them seen two if they haven't gone away yet. In the past I have had similar lumps appear on my wrists and went to the GP about them and they said it was just warts or cysts (can't remember) and they eventually went away. This is the first time I've had this on my hand so I'm wondering if I should just wait or it's worth making an appointment?

Cant you see the nurse or chemist or ring 111 as that would be faster and they could suggest whether you need to see the GP? If unsure ask them and if 2 of them say see GP then do so.
Well if they look the same as the spots you've had in the past, what's the point of seeing your doctor?
Perhaps go to your pharmacist and they’ll be able to give you more advice on whether or not it’s serious. Definitely see a medical professional about it to gain more accurate information.
Reply 5

I would pop into a pharmacy first. They should have a private room you can go into to show them if you're embarrassed or anything.
They're trained to deal with a whole bunch of stuff and should be able to confirm if it is the same stuff or if you need to see a doctor.
Obviously going into a pharmacy is way quicker than waiting to see GP and you're not exactly delaying things by seeing them first. Always worth going to a pharmacy first if you're not sure.

Also at least until you have it confirmed what they are try to avoid contact with other people. Don't want to give anybody else warts. What you've described sounds like it could be warts to me.
Try to use gloves or your sleeves when touching stuff and don't shake anybodys hands (or other body parts!). :smile:
Yes pop into the pharmacy first, let them look and advise before making a doctors appointment.
As others have said - go and see a pharmacist - they are able to help and give advice a lot more than people think.

If you’re still concerned then go to your GP
Original post by Kindred
I would pop into a pharmacy first. They should have a private room you can go into to show them if you're embarrassed or anything.
They're trained to deal with a whole bunch of stuff and should be able to confirm if it is the same stuff or if you need to see a doctor.
Obviously going into a pharmacy is way quicker than waiting to see GP and you're not exactly delaying things by seeing them first. Always worth going to a pharmacy first if you're not sure.

Also at least until you have it confirmed what they are try to avoid contact with other people. Don't want to give anybody else warts. What you've described sounds like it could be warts to me.
Try to use gloves or your sleeves when touching stuff and don't shake anybodys hands (or other body parts!). :smile:

I second going to a pharmacy, but advice to wear gloves seems OTT. Warts can last for years and over the counter treatments and even getting them frozen off (if your GP even does that - loads either don't, or have waiting lists that are months long) often doesn't get rid of them. Warts are not dangerous, and getting paranoid about them to the point of not touching anything without gloves seems a little unhealthy and unnecessary.
Reply 9
I second going to a pharmacy, but advice to wear gloves seems OTT. Warts can last for years and over the counter treatments and even getting them frozen off (if your GP even does that - loads either don't, or have waiting lists that are months long) often doesn't get rid of them. Warts are not dangerous, and getting paranoid about them to the point of not touching anything without gloves seems a little unhealthy and unnecessary.

I've advised they try to avoid contact until they know what it is. Could be an std. Don't know.
I don't mean to suggest they quarentine themselves forever, just try to not rub their hands all over people where possible.
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree with some of the replies. Pop down to your local pharmacy. They'll be able to advise you on whether or not you need to see your GP. Both my parents are pharmacists and there's very little they don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest