The Student Room Group

Late period

Seems trivial but hear me out.

I’m 18 and my period is late. AGAIN. I’ve had my period for just over 3 years (yes, I was a late bloomer). For reference I am a virgin.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I personally don't have any first-hand experience with late periods (I am unfortunately AMAB) but my sister had what sounds like a similar experience to yours, and I've had female friends say similar things. From what they've said to me about their issues and about the things they've found online and in their other friend groups, it sounds like it's nothing to worry about. A lot of people don't get their period until quite late, and getting it at 15 puts you somewhere within the latest 5% of the population (forgive me, I don't have the exact number to hand) which sounds scary but remember that contextually that's still one in 20 people, which is not that unusual. From what I know, it's pretty common to have erratic periods at any point but especially for the first 2 or 3 years after they start (I assume before your body falls into a stable cycle but that's just my guess), so from what you've said I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be any cause for alarm. If it gets later and later over the next few cycles or stops completely for a while it might be worth going to see a GP or a gyno depending on any other symptoms, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it for now if I were you. You're still young in the grand scale of things, your body is still developing and it's perfectly natural to see deviations or differences from the norm. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by JA03
Seems trivial but hear me out.

I’m 18 and my period is late. AGAIN. I’ve had my period for just over 3 years (yes, I was a late bloomer). For reference I am a virgin.

hey don't worry - our cycles tend to be irregular for the first couple of years within getting your period, and periods can come early/late due to a lot of other factors that affect hormones e.g. stress, exercise, diet, weight fluctuation etc. if you're still a virgin, you can rule out being pregnant. it's most likely not a cause for concern; my periods come late/early sometimes too, and so do other people's that i've talked to.
sometimes people may even miss a period (if you haven't menstruated after 6 weeks), but if you've missed 3 or more periods please see your GP!
hope you're doing okay, if you need anything else feel free to ask me, i'll try and help!

Quick Reply

Latest