The Student Room Group

Taking a car to uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oroberto1509
I need it becuase trains to the uni from my house are dodgy and I do need a way to come home so it kind of a must for me. Even though the roads are dodgy as well but not as bad as the trains 😂

Live at uni then - cheaper than running, insuring and servicing a car.
Original post by Muttley79
Live at uni then - cheaper than running, insuring and servicing a car.

what I mean is when there will be half terms ect I will have to return home due to the uni halls agreement so I will need the car to return home
what I mean is when there will be half terms ect I will have to return home due to the uni halls agreement so I will need the car to return home

Really? Which uni does this - it's not worth a car for infrequent use..
Really? Which uni does this - it's not worth a car for infrequent use..

you only get a certain weeks of stay and some do include half terms but most wont do over christmas and easter
I am going to use the car weekly shopping and to drive home . I will be studying media and history as a joint honors

You're actually going to take a car just to do weekly shopping? Jesus... I would take every opportunity to minimise your expenditure and debt during your time at university, and one easy way of doing that is not keeping an entirely unnecessary car.
If the shops were that far away it’s be cheaper to get an Uber once a week than pay for insurance, servicing, MOT, road tax, repairs, petrol, parking and depreciation.

The trains would have to be non-existent and you’d have to want to return home weekly to make this viable.
Original post by Reality Check
You're actually going to take a car just to do weekly shopping? Jesus... You're not even studying a course which is going to lead to a job! I would take every opportunity to minimise your expenditure and debt during your time at university, and one easy way of doing that is not keeping an entirely unnecessary car.

I will be using my car to have fun as every other uni student
Original post by Reality Check
You're actually going to take a car just to do weekly shopping? Jesus... You're not even studying a course which is going to lead to a job! I would take every opportunity to minimise your expenditure and debt during your time at university, and one easy way of doing that is not keeping an entirely unnecessary car.

didn't martin lewis say yoy should spend the maximum debt as a student as you'll never re pay it?
Original post by Admit-One
If the shops were that far away it’s be cheaper to get an Uber once a week than pay for insurance, servicing, MOT, road tax, repairs, petrol, parking and depreciation.

The trains would have to be non-existent and you’d have to want to return home weekly to make this viable.

thank yoy for your advice
I will be using my car to have fun as every other uni student

You won't - everyone will want lifts and you can't drink if you are driving. PLEASE rethink ...
You won't - everyone will want lifts and you can't drink if you are driving. PLEASE rethink ...

I don't drink due to my medical condition
I don't drink due to my medical condition

The uni I am going to is a rural uni where traveling is hardly non existence
The uni I am going to is a rural uni where traveling is hardly non existence

It is still not worth it -
It is still not worth it -

ok thank you I'll consider it when it will come closer to the time thank you
Reply 34
I did say you'd need deep pockets. You didn't listen.
I was given an old car in my 2nd year at uni. It was great for having freedom.

For me, that freedom was worth the fuel, insurance, tax, maintenance costs (all DIY).

I'd be a hypocrite if I advised any students not to have a car at uni.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
I was given an old car in my 2nd year at uni. It was great for having freedom.

For me, that freedom was worth the fuel, insurance, tax, maintenance costs (all DIY).

I'd be a hypocrite if I advised any students not to have a car at uni.

My car is very cheap to run £30 for tax and it'a a diesel and in a month or 2 it will use a full tank which is like £50 and whilst at uni I won't use it as often so that £50 full tank will probably last more than a month 😂👌🏻. Thank you for your help
My car is very cheap to run £30 for tax and it'a a diesel and in a month or 2 it will use a full tank which is like £50 and whilst at uni I won't use it as often so that £50 full tank will probably last more than a month 😂👌🏻. Thank you for your help

What about insurance? You'll need to change your registered address on the policy if you take it to uni, which could be significantly more expensive
Original post by LTEcactus
What about insurance? You'll need to change your registered address on the policy if you take it to uni, which could be significantly more expensive

I'm not sure as my insurance renews in November
Reply 39

Make sure you account for DPF and EGR replacement in your costs in that case!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending