The Student Room Group

Loughborough University or Sheffield Hallam University

I am in a dilemma between picking where to go. I have offers to study graphic design at loughborough and Sheffield Hallam. It is no secret that loughborough is known to be better in the league tables etc. But besides the uni and course, I am swaying more towards living in a city, which obviously Sheffield is. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. :smile: (Previous/current loughborough or Sheffield Hallam students or anyone else!
Original post by mollyxrebx
I am in a dilemma between picking where to go. I have offers to study graphic design at loughborough and Sheffield Hallam. It is no secret that loughborough is known to be better in the league tables etc. But besides the uni and course, I am swaying more towards living in a city, which obviously Sheffield is. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. :smile: (Previous/current loughborough or Sheffield Hallam students or anyone else!

i mean if you go to Loughborough yes you will complain about the nightlife being crap but the students still have a great time (my sister went there) and you should prioritise the course - you don't want to end up studying something you hate.
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i mean if you go to Loughborough yes you will complain about the nightlife being crap but the students still have a great time (my sister went there) and you should prioritise the course - you don't want to end up studying something you hate.

Thanks for the reply, I know its definitely more important to prioritise the course, however I can't help thinking I will be bored In loughborough as I am used to a city. But I guess there is a lot going on on the campus!
Thanks for the reply, I know its definitely more important to prioritise the course, however I can't help thinking I will be bored In loughborough as I am used to a city. But I guess there is a lot going on on the campus!

not even that tbh lol. i think it's more the friendships particularly when people move into houses with mates in second year, and obviously the uni has an incredible sporty vibe and is close to Leicester where there might be some big nights out occasionally

Will you have a great time, these next few years are covid-19 times..... That's out the window. It's 18 month's until a vaccine.

Your graduating into a slumping economy, that might just be recovering... You definitely need to think about employability, loughborough is definitely the only sensible choice.

@mollyxrebx
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Will you have a great time, these next few years are covid-19 times..... That's out the window. It's 18 month's until a vaccine.

Your graduating into a slumping economy, that might just be recovering... You definitely need to think about employability, loughborough is definitely the only sensible choice.

for graphic design the uni you go to will make no difference tbh
for graphic design the uni you go to will make no difference tbh

If you end up trying to get on a different graduate scheme then maybe graphic design, it might. What if OP decides to try banking or working on the tech side.

Their interests my change. The economy may look very differently, with such a vast difference in reputation...i wouldn't risk it. Go with the quality name.
If you end up trying to get on a different graduate scheme then maybe graphic design, it might. What if OP decides to try banking or working on the tech side.

Their interests my change. The economy may look very differently, with such a vast difference in reputation...i wouldn't risk it. Go with the quality name.

you are clutching at straws here
you are clutching at straws here

Uh huh, your arguing Sheffield Hallam over Loughborough.
Uh huh, your arguing Sheffield Hallam over Loughborough.

no i'm arguing for considering the course carefully.
Hi @mollyxrebx,

Well done on both of your offers! Did you manage to come to an open day at Hallam to see our facilities and speak to any of the academics/current students from the course?
There is plenty to consider:
- Course: do the courses cover similar content? how do assessments differ? what are the facilities like? what placement opportunities are there?
- Location: do you want to be near to home? Sheffield is pretty central with great train links and next to the M1. We are also close to Leeds and Manchester so it is easy to explore other cities.
- Size of the city: Sheffield is the 5th largest city in the UK, however that being said the city centre does not feel this big and is very easy to get around with Hallam at the heart of this. All of our accommodation is very central most are only 10-20 mins from the city campus and close to everything you need.
- Things to do: There is lots to do in Sheffield with 60,000 students to cater for, there are clubs/music venues for every scene, lots of independent cafes and shops, food markets, Meadow Hall shopping centre is a 5 min train or tram away from the city centre and Sheffield is also right next to the beautiful Peak District if you want get some fresh air! Seeing as city life is a factor for you then Sheffield could cater to your needs much more, however Loughborough also has plenty to offer.

Hopefully that will help you with your decision! You can also visit our explore Sheffield and student life pages to see what Sheffield has to offer. You can talk to our current students @hallamstudents or over on UniBuddy who can offer their opinion of what studying at Hallam and living in Sheffield is like.

I have come across another offer holder for our Graphic Design course who is in similar situation to you, you may want to chat with her on this thread she created. :h:

Good luck with your decision!
- Ella
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi @mollyxrebx,

Firstly, congratulations on receiving your offers!

You are going to university for the course and that will be one of the major factors in your decision making. League tables are great for informing your choices but don't base your decision off them as they can't tell you where you'll enjoy being more. Also consider the opportunities each course provides you with, can you do a placement? what are the projects like (industry briefs etc.)? external opportunities outside the course at the university? All of which will contribute to your employability after university.

I am from Birmingham and was worried about moving to a campus university, but the security that Loughborough offered was refreshing. If I ever wanted a bit more from Loughborough I just hopped on to a train to Leicester or Nottingham and spent a day their with flatmates. It's also really nice being able to go home and get the busy city feel back, but having been at Loughborough for my degree I don't really miss the city that much anymore.

I agree with the points made by Sheffield Hallam above, try and make a list of your priorities and see where both of us match up.

Good luck with your decision and if you have anymore questions tag us on here or PM us.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest